News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

MELTED PISTON

Started by TristanT, September 22, 2023, 12:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TristanT

I picked up a nice clean 2006 955i in blue with full factory luggage that needed the head gasket replaced.  No big deal, right?  Well after digging into it I found one of the pistons is melted a bit.  Not going to run well like this and now a much bigger deal than the head gasket.  Seems that the pistons aren't even available anymore.  Now I am left with the choice of finding another engine, finding an Ebay piston tearing this one down and rebuilding, or parting the bike out.  The cost of the gasket set alone is making the rebuild less favorable.  I see some engines on Ebay, but they are pricey.  What engines will even fit? Does it have to be another 955i?
 One from a Daytona?  Would the 1050 fit?  It seems like I read somewhere that the 2006 had the 1050 cases?  Looking at all options at this point.  Does anyone know of a wrecked bike with a good engine or have one laying around?  ;)