News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coolant problem

Started by Ziph, August 13, 2005, 07:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziph

Hi guys wondered if you could help me.

I look my 2001 955i Tiger out for a little spin off-road the other evening.  Everything went fine and I had a great time.  However, when I got the bike back home, switched the engine off, loads of coolant started coming out of the overflow pipe next to the rear shock.  Just thinking it might have been because the bike was being shaken around a little more than usual, I topped the coolant back up again.  By the time it had finished dripping out it was just under the minimum mark on the tank.

Just been out on the bike today and after 170 mile round trip (all on-road)  I've got back and its done the same thing again, so theres definitely something wrong with it.  Strange thing is that we stopped off in a couple of places and it didn't seem to do it, it was only once I was back home that it started again.  Can't think what it could be, so I just wondered if any of you have any suggestions that I can try myself before I take it to a dealer?  Throughout the jouney today, the oil temperature has been cooler than usual but I think that was down to lovely British summer weather.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

apache

Being its intermitten the only thing I can think of would be the cap, sounds like some debris has made its way under the seat on the center part and it wont hold pressure. As it heats up and expands it just blows everything out. Odd situation indeed. I would eyeball the coolant and rad cap for debris. A good flush might be in order. also clean the cap real good under the seals and center disc that is the check valve of sorts.

twotaildog

My 2001 used to do that every time I got above ~6,300 feet elevation. I replaced the radiator cap and it seems to have solved the problem.