News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel tank reserve on 97

Started by apache, August 19, 2005, 05:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apache

Hey all, can anyone tell me how much is left in my 97s tank when I switch to reserve? also what is typically left when the low fuel light comes on? I have no owners manual to see for myself.

Mudhen

Hopefully someone will let us know...I'm curious as well.

I know how it works on my bike - my gas light comes on anywhere from 110 to 150 miles, and I'm calling my wife to bring me some gas at 160.  I hear gas in the tank, just can't get to it.

Someday I need to look into that...
\'96 Steamer

apache

Sounds about how mine does. However I get the low fuel light on at 120 then it went out and Ive put another 50 miles or so then it started in again. Seemed like when I drained the tank for service fuel was comming out on reg and would stop on reserve. Ill run it out and post what I get.

BR

Hey guys!

I took a look in my tattered owner's Manual last night and found the following in the specs section:

Fuel Tank Capacity: 6.6gal (25L, which includes reserve).

Reserve Capacity: 1.35 gal (5L).

(no reference to relationship with the light here, this is just how the mechanical fuel valve divides up the tank)

I forgot to see what it says specifically about the fuel light.  Mine happens to be disconnected since the sensor is toast but I'll check on this and report back.

Brendan

'98 BRG Tiger (down again for carbs and tires)

wilsontiger

Well I'm new and have only gone through 3 or 4 tanks of gas, but my gas light comes on at 150 miles and reserve gets turned on at 180ish miles and then I refill at 200 miles............

Based on my math, 200/6 gallons when I refill, bikes getting around mid 33 miles per gallon, which is not great, as my other bikes can get 40 mpg with exhausts, jet kits, and larger cc.............

I have a 1995 Tiger with Keihin FCR 39s..........

Now if anyone could solve my windscreen issue. I hate the buffering I get a free way speeds. I'm tempted to spend $99 on a gusfasson (spelling?) screen mentioned on the previous thread, but would love if someone could post so picture of what it looks like on their bike, and whether it does the job of throwing the wind over your head.

BR

Man! You guys are sure getting some rotten mileage.  When I WAS riding my '98 a little more regularly mostly on my 12 mile each way commute, I never got less than 40mpg.  And this was a combination of freeway, surface street and low speed lane splitting!  Now, I haven't checked the accuracy of my odometer but it can't be off that far (speedo IS a bit optimstic at speed).  Stock cans or Yosh cans seem to make little difference....

Brendan

wilsontiger

Well, I have the flat-slides FCR carbs, which I'm sure are more gass guzzling than the stock units..........though 1998 or somewhere they switched to Flat slides I think.........but not the exact model of FCR. I guess its really the overall mileage before empty that counts, and at around 200 miles, that's more than any of my other bikes.

For example my zx12 gets roughly 100 miles before reserve, I think it has a 5 gallon tank.............range on this bike sucks.............

Gas prices are going up, but compared to my car, motorcycles kick ass.......

I remember a long time ago, I was asking a dealer about a modified T-bird I took for a test ride. I kept asking questions like what's the gas mileage of this bike, or this bike, what about after you put on the pipe. The sales guy started to get a little pissed and mentioned something like who cares it gets more than your car, and the incremental loss is outweighted by the positive of more hp, noise and looks..................which years later I would agree..........

I hate stock bikes...............and will always look to aftermarket for improved parts........

Mudhen

I'm getting 40mpg with my '96...Yosh cans and setup with both sides of the airbox open.
\'96 Steamer

apache

I finally filled up again after a watchful eye and put in 5.3 gals with 190 miles. like you all mentioned I was hoping for better. particulary cause the guy I ride with has a 04 BMW GS with the 9 gallon tank. Guy can go for days it seems. It seems my tiger could use some jetting work. It seems to have good pull from 3-5K or roll on power then flattens out by7k. it seems awfully rich judging by the soot on the cans, but its a cold blooded beast on start ups as far as gettin on it until warmed up good. Heck even sitting in my 100+ degree garage its still cold. I belive eventually I will ace the stock airbox and go to pods, also have my friend build me an exhaust system. As I understand it will run like poo poo with the stock jetting but There Just Mikuni`s, parts are eaisly avaliable.

BR

.... on the fuel light:  My manual says the light will go on "just before reserve is needed" and that's about it.  So use it as a guide and get to know your bike, the mileage it gets and when you'll run out etc... (but you guys know all that!

BR

wilsontiger

Hopefully everyone's math is good, but it's just easier to mention how many miles the bike gets on a tank.........I fill up about 20 miles after I hit reserve. This gets me about 200 miles when I'm at the pump.

I would not go pods, if you're serious about riding in rain, or water crossings or windy conditions. I had pods on my other bike and after multiple jetting changes, I had the bike running pretty good, though I experienced a bit of a dip in midrange and overally didn't like the sensitivity of the pods, especially during cross winds. Didn't like having to cover the pods when the bike was parked in the rain, didn't like having to cover the pods when washing the bike.

Don't know how the stock bike comes, but both sides of my snorkel are open on my stock air box, with a k&n. I would think its close to pods, just without the hassle. Check dynojet to see if there's a stage1 jetting for the bike and use that as the starting point.

I would say the profile of the tiger motor is low and midrange grunt with less pull up top, which is why it feels flat up top..............possibly changing the cams from another sport triumph would get you the top end rush.........but that's not what this bike is for.

Mudhen

Quote from: "wilsontiger"I would not go pods, if you're serious about riding in rain, or water crossings or windy conditions. <snip>

...but that's not what this bike is for.

I'd like the bike to be setup to use pods, so I could run some tubing somewhere nice and high, then stick the pod filters on that.  So that as long as I keep the bike upright I won't have to worry about it sucking in water anymore (for the most part).

It may not be 'what this bike is for' for you...but I'm sure we all use them differently.
\'96 Steamer