News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

06 Tiger vibes

Started by Grif, August 23, 2005, 05:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grif

Hello everyone....I've been searching this site for a couple of weeks as I'm thinking of swapping my speed triple for more of an all rounder.

I quite fancy a Tiger and have just taken an 06 model  for test ride.....Handling's a very big grin, pretty sure it would only take a few more miles before the pegs started scraping round roundabouts, suspension seemed fine to me, nice plush ride, but still enough confidence to wack it over, which it does very rapidly, presumably due to that skinny back tyre?

Clutch is nice and light and I liked the riding position.....BUT......there is a problem. At around 4k revs some vibes start to creep in and by 5k revs they are quite pronounced, especially through the right footpeg, but I could also feel it through the left peg, bars and seat to a lesser extent. After a few motorway miles I found my right foot getting numb.

The demo bike only had a few hundred miles on it, and I'm sure it would smooth out to some degree when it was fully run in, but I don't reccon they would dissappear completely (my sp3 has never had any vibes like it).

I know they've changed some stuff this year, and I was just wondering if owners of previous years models have experienced vibration probs??

ballmick

had the same trouble on my 02 tiger. returned to shop about 6 times, in the end triump sent out a technician to see what the problem was. all he said was that the vibes were within the limits. (wanker) sorry for my language. the shop eventually sorted it for me. the problem they said was that the frame was heavily powdercoated and the engine mounted bolts when tightened would slightly misalign the engine which would cause the vibes. they undone all the mounting bolts then jacked the engine back into place then torked up the bolts in sequence. this resolved my vibration probs. hope this helps.

p.s. i have never found the people at triumph to be of any help at all. the other day i found that my frony bearings had gone, only done 15k in three years, thought this to be a bit quick to go i rang triumph, all they would say is that they are wearable items.

hope you get on well with your bike

Grif

Very interesting, and makes alot of sense! Thanks for taking the time to post, much appreciated.

Ned

Hi Grif I took delivery of my new black '06 5 weeks ago and the big selling point for me was just how beautifully smooth this engine is across the whole rev range. I have been a member of this site since March to research this bike before I took the plunge and this is my first post. I love this engine :D  :D . Try another test bike.

Ned

Speed3guy

My '05 Tiger is much smoother than my '98 Speed Triple was.  The amount of vibration I did do get did drop some as the bike was broken in though.

Grif

Thanks guys...I'll take a test ride on another bike and let you know how I get on.

Ned...got any pics mate. I was thinking black too!

Ned

Sorry Grif I recently reversed the family 4wd over my bag and killed 2 digital camera's. Fortunately they weren't expensive but none the less  camera's are a sore point here at present. When I called in to my local Dealer he had the choice in blue or black. I think the black contrasts well with the silver frame and wheels. Its a personal thing. If he only had blue I would have taken it and later kicked myself if I ever had to park beside a black one. The decision was easy when they were side by side. Black has attitude!!!!! I have added a few bits and peices such as Thunderbike pipe, heated grips, and centre stand but the only thing I simply could not live with straight out of the box was the headlights. The factory lights are attrocious. My dealer did a mod with some relays and bigger globes and now they are great. Don't keep torturing yourself man, just do it.

Ned

waltconrad

my 04 is pretty smooth ,there is a very slight buzz on the right side bar and peg noticable at about 80 mph. The left rear view mirror is very sharp,the right is very mildly blurred. I've had bikes that the mirrors were usless on and numbed hands and wrists,vibration sucks i hope you get yours sorted out.
"Love means never having to say your sorry." Richard M. Nixon.

Lummox

My 2006 Tiger 100 miles old has a strange vibration and grating and knocking at the pegs at about 4,000 revs in top. My old steamer had it at 3,000 a horrible gnashing that would dissapear at 3,500.

Hoping its gonna disappear!

Lummox

Patrick the Scot

I was seriously concerned about vibration in my '05 when I first bought it well over a year ago.  Do you all remember the discussions about decceleration vibrationand driveline backlash?  Well, at present, 6200 miles later, I would not be able to pick out any vibration at all in the machine, non that are offensive anyway.  How is that possible?
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"I would not be able to pick out any vibration at all in the machine, non that are offensive anyway.  How is that possible?

Probably your chain has stretched to the correct tension. :oops:

PaulBerg

The '05 Owners Manual has an incorrect number for the chain tension (don't know about the '06 manual). As a result many of them are set up with chains too tight. This causes a grating vibration through the footpegs. Slacken your chain play off by another 10mm and see the difference.

Paul

TigerTim

Quote from: "PaulBerg"The '05 Owners Manual has an incorrect number for the chain tension (don't know about the '06 manual). As a result many of them are set up with chains too tight. This causes a grating vibration through the footpegs. Slacken your chain play off by another 10mm and see the difference.

Paul

Hi Paul

So what is the "correct number" then ? just +10mm to spec

Regards

Tim
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

TigerTim

Quote from: "PaulBerg"The '05 Owners Manual has an incorrect number for the chain tension (don't know about the '06 manual). As a result many of them are set up with chains too tight. This causes a grating vibration through the footpegs. Slacken your chain play off by another 10mm and see the difference.

Paul

Hi Paul

So what is the "correct number" then ?

Regards

Tim
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

PaulBerg

Don't know what the 'correct' number is but there are numerous items in the Owners Manual which are incorrect because they still refer to the pre-05 bikes (e.g. steering head angle)and maybe this is one of them (they had different swingarms). '06 manuals may have been corrected since.

All I know is that when adjusted to the max play figure in the manual (if memory serves me it was 35mm), I had these symptoms. I just tried adding another 10 mm play and the symptoms disappeared.

Worth a try...

Paul