News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Does anyone use 5th gear?

Started by BykBoy, August 26, 2005, 05:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BykBoy

When upshifting, I spend very little time in 5th gear. I alwyas bump up right into 6th. When down shifting, I always double down to 4th to feel any impact on deceleration. I almost never find myself riding in 5th gear. Even when riding the twisties in WV... I am eather in 4th or 6th. What about you?

I wish Triumph would have set 6th gear with a highr ratio. That way the bike have better fuel milage and a 5th gear I would actually use...
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

ChrisN

I generally use 5th on the way up but never on the way down. Always double down to 4th. I think 6th should be a higher gear for motorway-type use only.

I also think 1st is a little high too. Some say my sports can tuning is responsible for it feeling higher than standard - I don't know? But I'd rather drop the clutch and get away with a quick change up to second.
Chris

Foxy

When I first got the Tiger I wasn't too sure about the gear ratios, until I got used to the power characteristics. For most of my riding I would now agree that sixth feels too low, and could be a useful overdrive gear. I also wouldn't mind first being a little lower, not that I ever get problems away from the lights but I didn't realise how awkward tackling a grassy slope with luggage would be with stock gearing.

Capbuster

Amen Gentlemen!

I feel the same way you guys do about transmission ratios in the Tiger.  6th gear is useless.  Only thing I know to do is gear up to the 19T motor sprocket and live with it!

Ride it like ya stole it!

Capbuster

ratpackleader

:?

I know its a long ways back when you last posted this thread, but after many miles on my 05 tiger i wonder why we have 6th gear at all. Lets face it if you ride the bike within the user power band of between 4 and 6500 revs in 4th gear your in complete control for fast acceleration and engine braking, and at speeds on the permitted legal limits and more, Which begs the question is 6th gear just fashionable as everyone else has 6. Now the engine revs to 9k ish and thats about 110mph on current gear ratios in 5th so with a little tweaking at the factory 6th could become redundant. Phew, got that off me chest.
Keep those knees in the breeze

greg

I think 5th is completely useless, simply never use it. 6th is fine for motorways. It's a fashion thing having 6 gears.
2004 Girly.

ratpackleader

:?

Hi Greg

I think you have missed my point. If 5th is useless and you never use it then mathematically if you remove 5th and you use 6th only you have a 5 speed box. Or have i missed the thread/?

Sofalofa2005

The redline may be at 9,500, but don't you think it's more relaxing when the motor's spinning low on a long run with constant throttle?. Doing 85mph on the motorway, the motor's at almost 6,000 rpm... I'd prefer it spinning at 4,500rpm etc

ratpackleader

:)

Hi Sofalofa

Fair play to you all. We all have our own ideas but its good to share them as we would never get any where if we all stayed in low gear.

greg

Quote from: "ratpackleader":?

Hi Greg

I think you have missed my point. If 5th is useless and you never use it then mathematically if you remove 5th and you use 6th only you have a 5 speed box. Or have i missed the thread/?

Ah I see, that is what the Doctor meant by attention deficit disorder!
2004 Girly.

greg

Quote from: "ratpackleader":?

Hi Greg

Ah I see, that is what the Doctor meant by attention deficit disorder!
2004 Girly.

Patrick the Scot

Fashionable or not, the 6th gear ratio is real handy on the super-slab at about 120 out in the desert.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

steve2047

Changed the front sprocket to 19t as my 50 mile daily commute is 95% m/way standard roads. Extra 10 miles to the tank & power in 6th between 80 & 100 is superb. 70mph = 4400rpm in 6th :wink:

Sofalofa2005

steve, exactly a 50 mile a day motorway trip for me too... Will consider doing this, but doesn't changing sprocket sizes mess up the speedo/mileometer readings etc?

ChrisN

Quote from: "Sofalofa2005"but doesn't changing sprocket sizes mess up the speedo/mileometer readings etc?

No. The speedo/mileometer is connected to the front wheel and has nothing to do with the gearbox or rear wheel drive.
Chris