News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Im a Turncoat

Started by robbo, August 28, 2005, 08:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbo

Sorry guys I have succumb to the GS fever, I took an 1150GS out for a half day test and loved it. I didnÌt want to give it back after the test ride so I didnÌt, instead I traded my Tiger.

If anyone is looking for a good Tiger with full service history and three box luggage have a look in at Edinburgh Harley Davidson.

The bit I couldnÌt figure out was that someone must have traded the GS for a Harley.?

:?
best Regards

Robbo

Mudhen

Quote from: "robbo"Sorry guys I have succumb to the GS fever, I took an 1150GS out for a half day test and loved it. I didnÌt want to give it back after the test ride so I didnÌt, instead I traded my Tiger.

If anyone is looking for a good Tiger with full service history and three box luggage have a look in at Edinburgh Harley Davidson.

The bit I couldnÌt figure out was that someone must have traded the GS for a Harley.?

:?

Ouch dude...what's up with that?

But being one of the people that came over to Triumph from BMW I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.  What was it that made you go the other (wrong) way?

Oh ya...congrats on the new bike!
\'96 Steamer

Sasquatch

As another person who was ready to buy a GS untill I rode a Tiger, I would be interested in hearing this as well.  I can understand the GS1200, but the 1150????

apache

Alright before ya all flame me, I gotta tell you I own a HD as well along with some other bikes. There not all that bad but to go from a GS to a HD is odd. It 2 totally different things. The HD is like a caddy for the raod where my Tiger or any of the sort is a sports car in comparo. I gotta admit I havent touched my HD since buying the Tiger, its more fun.

robbo

Ok my thoughts on why I changed.

I liked the GS because:

The lower seat

The riding position

The handling suited me but I would not say it was better or worse then the Tiger it just felt right to me.

The luggage system

The looks

The noise, that thumping boxer engine sounds fantastic at full pelt.

ABS breaks.? ( not sure about this yet, first time I have to use them I will let you know )

I could go on but there is no point, to say the GS is a better bike than the Tiger would not be true. The Tiger is faster, cheaper, has good handling and touring ability. Basically I think both bikes are as good as each other the Tiger has points which are a bit better then the GS and the GS has points that are a bit better than the Tiger. I was just in the mood for a change and had always liked the GS and wanted to know what all the fuss was about.

If I have to pick one point about the Tiger that really pissed me off it would be the way it was loosing money hand over fist for every mile I put on it. Purchased April 04 for £7000 sold August 05 for £4000 but I had been offered as low as £3500 in one dealer who said I had a high mileage. 17000 miles! Come on what the hell are these types of bike for if not to go touring.
best Regards

Robbo

apache

At least parts will be avaliable easily and your riding still a bike.

robbo

Apache,

I donÌt think there is anything wrong with HDÌs, I just thought it was a bit of a leap for whoever it was to go from a big trailie to an HD because they are totally different types of ride.

HarleyÌs have their place but not on my budget.

Allan
best Regards

Robbo

tnktm

Sometimes I get bored with what I am riding and get the urge to trade, even though I know it might not be the smartest.   I can if I want to.

robbo

Quote from: "tnktm"Sometimes I get bored with what I am riding and get the urge to trade, even though I know it might not be the smartest.   I can if I want to.

Yip, that was pretty much it. The GS is no better than the Tiger, its just different.
best Regards

Robbo

pauljones1227

Another turncoat here, I am picking up my KTM 950 Adventure on thursday and saying goodbye to my Tiger. Yes I will miss it but like Robbo, I was horrified how little it was worth. I got £3800 part ex for a 15 month old 05 bike.

I was told that 9500 miles was too high for the year !!!!!!

I took the money considering that it had its 12000 mile service round the corner and needed tyres, chain and sproket and brakes. And I was loathed to part with a good £700-£800 for the work to be done with a Triumph dealer who I have found pretty awful at times.

I was offered about £3600 part ex at a Triumph dealer, most of which said they wouldn't take them as they can't sell them.

Hey Ho

I will still check in here and look forward  to a revamped Tiger without just a new colour and no clonking forks and I may come back

Mudhen

Don't all bikes lose money hand over fist?  I lost $7500 (US) on my '04 GS Adventure in 1.5 years...I did have 27k miles on it and a bunch of nicks and scrapes from off roading, but seemed a bit excessive.

Couldn't some of you Tiger guys give your bikes away for free and only lose a little more than that?
\'96 Steamer