News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What am I missing here?

Started by UKPaul, August 31, 2005, 05:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKPaul

So I've got 500 miles on my 05 purchased this month. From the 1st mile I notice a clunk coming from the front of the bike every time I go over a pot hole /man hole cover.

I mention this to the dealer when I drop it off for the 1st service & after both mechanics test drive it they hear the same sound (so far so good)

A day later they call me & say if we hav't to strip down the front forks to try & locate the clunk & it's not related to the front end ie something that should of been done at the factory, It's going to be $300+ for labor as Triumph wont cover this under the warranty.

So if I understand this correctly... there's a good chance I could part with $300+ the dealer is unable to solve the noise issue, & every time I hit a small bump I hear 'Sucker''

I absolutley love the bike, surely this is not the way it should be??

NortonCharlie

In another thread I think they came to the conclusion (on some bikes at least) that the radiator mount or guard was doing the clunking.  It seems like your dealer should be able to fix this and that it shouldn't cost you anything, even if they can't.

Has Triumph been made aware of this problem and put out a service bulletin?  I think your dealer should take the time to contact Triumph rather than going at it blind and expecting you to pay the bill.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

UKPaul

Thanks NortonCharlie, I've just got back from the dealership, the mechanic did mention it could be the fan blade hitting the plastic surround.

The plan is to remove the blade test drive it, & then take it from there.

Hopefully this is the problem, I will keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Thanks for the advice this is a great site.

wtrlogd

Let us know,. My 2005 has the same "clunk". If you tap the radiator with your palm you hear a 'clank', not sure if it's the same noise though. Sounds like something from the forks, to me. I've hit a lot of potholes trying to figure it out, so many I'm starting to be able to ignore it.
2005 Triumph Tiger

1997 ATK605DS

Tassie Tiger

That can't be right.  :?:  Is your dealer saying that Triumph don't warranty their assembly at their factory?  What does a warranty cover then?  If your dealer agrees there's a fault there should be no charge to you for investigating it.

I would talk direct with Triumph.

From the triumphrat.net forum I believe the '05's do clonk in the front forks when going over pot holes or sharp bumps.  Mine does, and I've just learned to live with it.
Roger Harvey

Hobart, Tasmania

UKPaul

Test drove the bike today after dealer disabled the fan,

100% sure it 't not the fan as the clunk is still there.

Next step is to strip the front forks down & check the oil level. $160 unless it's low then Triumph cover it under warranty.

I am thinking about installing Hagen proggresive front springs at the same time, I read somwhere this solved the problem on a 02 Tiger in the U.K.

Bit of a pisser when you drop all that doe on a new bike & you've got to throw in another $500... ah well let's hope I get it sorted.

I will keep you guys up to date on any progress.

T100LESS

Have just completed my first 400 miles and from the driving it out of the dealers I noticed a clunk from the front end when going over a pot hole or  man hole cover. At the moment I am not unduley  concerned as I think it is the front screen coming back and  the causing the clunk....But this might change....Watch this space...

UKPaul

Spoke to the dealer again this morning in San diego, Triumph U.K. have been in contact with them and admitted there is a clunking issue with the 05 & 06 front end.

They are working on it and think it is either the fan or the front springs. Presently they do not feel it is a safety issue, although that could change depending on the outcome of there investigation.

I contacted www.hagon-shocks.co.uk. unfortunately they do not have a set of front springs developed for the 05's at this time.

Guess I'll just have't to ride the bugger & wait for the outcome.

PeterO

I'm sure this is the well discussed "front end clonk" that is quite common on '05s and '06s.   Somewhere there is a descritption of what causes it, but I just can't find it at the moment.

PeterO (who is about to book the 12,000 mile service on his '05)

UKPaul

PeterO, if you know of any info I could pass along to Triumph that would really help.

Thanks, Paul

djr

The 05/06 has a known clunk on the front forks. triumph is aware of this although they claim it is not a problem. I would refuse to pay out for a check to be done on this as IMHO it IS a fault with the bike. Your bike is not designed to clunk every time it hits a hard bump therefor it must be faulty. If Triumph were not prepared to fix the fault, I would demand it be replaced as it is obviously not up to its design mandate and not fit for the intended purpose.

Just a thought though. Have you tried talking direct to triumph re this issue and your dealers response?