News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Suggestions for Running In the Engine/Bike

Started by Green Lantern, August 31, 2005, 08:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Lantern

I am fifty miles into the break-in and am following the manual's instructions. I'm having a little bit of trouble keeping the RPMs under 3500, but only when I'm on the BQE( Brooklyn Queens Expressway).  Other than that, no problems.

Any suggestions for a newbie?

Thanks guys,

Brandon

ballmick

best to run it in properly. if you dont and the bike goes wrong, you will have to pay for any repairs(not cheap on a tiger). it will not take too long to run in your bike and when its done the fun starts.

Sasquatch

Run it easy untill it is fully warmed up.  Then run it like you stole it for about an hour.  Good heavy doses of throttle up to within 1k of read line.  Acceleration then deceleration.  Probably 75-80% loads.  Let it cool all the way back down.  There, it is broken in and it will run better/longer than any motor that was babied during break in.  I honestly do not know why the factories still stick to that break in proceedure of babying the bike.  

Probably has more to do with wanting the new owner to get used to the handling of the bike than the motor itself.

Brock

Personally I'd keep away from the rev limiter for the first few hundred miles, but I certainly wouldn't be gentle either. What damages an engine is allowing it to labour. It needs plenty of work throughout the range of revs. Being too gentle with her will form a glaze on the pistons/liners that will never wear off. Like Sas says...let her warm up a bit, then work her, a little harder each time you ride.

In any case she won't be properly run in for at least 7 or 8,000 miles.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

PeterO

Quote from: "Sasquatch"I honestly do not know why the factories still stick to that break in proceedure of babying the bike.  

I honestly don't know why some people think they know better that the people that designed and built the bike  :wink:

I've always followed the manufacturers reccomendations for running in.  None of my bikes have ever required more than one top up of engine oil between annual services (and they've all averaged over 10,000 miles a year).

Peter

Aussie Tiger

QuoteNone of my bikes have ever required more than one top up of engine oil between annual services

A properly run in Tiger shouldn't need any top up of oil between services.  It's not like you're riding a GS.

In fact, my dealer told me to run it in by riding it the way I intend to (giving it some!) as long as I stay away from the redline and vary the throttle.  He told me to do pretty much what is stated on the site posted by Thylacine, check it out!
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Never regret growing old...Its a privilege not afforded to many!

Sasquatch

Quote from: "PeterO"I honestly don't know why some people think they know better that the people that designed and built the bike  :wink:

Peter.  You will not find one single reputable engine builder in this country who will tell you to baby a new motor that they build for you.  Every one worth their salt will tell you to run her hard.  Avoid running it hard untill warmed up and avoid constant throttle and idling.

NortonCharlie

I also follow manufacturer recomendations, but like mentioned by several people here with manufacturing processes what they are it probably isn't necessary to baby it early, but!! If something is wrong with anything in the engine or tranny it is probably safer to break it at 3500 RPM than at redline.  A tranny shaft with a heat crack letting loose could lock up alot including the rear wheel which could be a little worrysome with the front wheel in the air at 45 MPH.  I am starting to think greak-in proceedures are more for liability than actually to insure long term motor funtion.  That said my 01 955 Tiger was broken in as per Triumph, I have ove 60,000 miles on it and I can guarenty it performs as well or better than any other Tiger (with the same stuff) out there.  So I am pretty sure my rings seated just fine following the guidelines.  It just was not as much fun as it might have been for a couple thousand miles.  The other thing I am not quite willing to give up on is that you are the last machinist on the line.  If for some reason you need to wear off that missed burr or run that loose chip into the oil filter it will go easier on everything if it is done at something less than full load.

Personally, I'll follow the manufacturers guidelines, but that is just me.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

PeterO

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Peter.  You will not find one single reputable engine builder in this country who will tell you to baby a new motor that they build for you.  Every one worth their salt will tell you to run her hard.  Avoid running it hard untill warmed up and avoid constant throttle and idling.

But these guys arn't mass producing engines are they,  And I doubt they expect a bike with a custom engine to be used every day or for long touring holidays or to approach 100,000 miles either.   I don't doubt they know what they are doing and saying, but they're not quite in the same ball game as Triumph.

Peter

PeterO

Quote from: "Aussie Tiger"
QuoteNone of my bikes have ever required more than one top up of engine oil between annual services

A properly run in Tiger shouldn't need any top up of oil between services.  It's not like you're riding a GS.

Not all my bikes have been Tigers :wink:

Peter

Sasquatch

Quote from: "PeterO"
Quote from: "Sasquatch"Peter.  You will not find one single reputable engine builder in this country who will tell you to baby a new motor that they build for you.  Every one worth their salt will tell you to run her hard.  Avoid running it hard untill warmed up and avoid constant throttle and idling.

But these guys arn't mass producing engines are they,  And I doubt they expect a bike with a custom engine to be used every day or for long touring holidays or to approach 100,000 miles either.   I don't doubt they know what they are doing and saying, but they're not quite in the same ball game as Triumph.

Peter

No, they are not mass producing.  I build my motors to last the long haul.  I have many customers out there with over 100k on my motors.  When I break in a motor I do it exactly how my post stated and how the link provided stated.

I bought my Tiger with .8 miles on it (I helped pull it out of the crate).  I broke it in exacly how I break in my motors that I build.  Believe what you want.  

I still feel that the "break in period" recommended by MC companies has more to do with them wanting to keep your bikes slow untill you get used to them than saving the motor.  Ever watch them start the bikes at the factory?  They get flogged.

Not a MC, but Porsche runs each motor on a dyno before installing in a car.  Fully tested at full throttle pulls.  Thats a nice easy break in.......

Green Lantern

Great suggestions, guys.

I am now at 95 miles. My first extended ride will be this weekend (Labour Day).

On the tank and in the manual it states that once I'm over 100 miles I can take it up to, but not over, 5000RPM. This will be easier out on the slab.

Yesterday, I took it for a longer ride around Brooklyn and decided to cross the Brooklyn Bridge and ride into Manhattan. Unfortunatly there was an accident and I had to crawl it over the bridge in bumper to bumper traffic, shifting between first and second. And that really has been my biggest concern. Will this kind of stop and go have a negative effect on the engine?

Thanks again.

Brock

The little bit you've done shouldn't hurt. Just don't make a habit of it!
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein