News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

97 exhaust mods??

Started by apache, September 06, 2005, 11:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apache

As usual by the time I can afford a good ride its already 10 years old so no aftermarket is left in production. So my question is... did anyone ever make a slip on set up for the 97 Tigers? did it degrade the power from becomming to lean? I was amazed to see what happened by simply removing the other airbox cap, ran like shiznit, Ive been tempted to unrivit my end caps and have a looksee and fab up some new guts.

Shoud I leave well enough alone??

Thanks

Mudhen

Quote from: "apache"Shoud I leave well enough alone??

Thanks

Never!  I vote for ripping it apart...On a Steamer I don't think you can get into as much trouble on the exhaust side as you can the intake side.  That airbox is really a kick in the balls... :roll:
\'96 Steamer

nightowl

I recall seeing some carbon fiber cans on Steamers.  Check around and you'll probably find something.  On the 95-97's you can get the dynojet kit too.  The combo should really wake it up.

S

BR

I've the got the carbon fiber Yosh cans on my '98 Steamer.  Sound the same as the aluminum units I'm sure.. perhaps alittle less weight.  I still have my OEM cans and the Yosh's came with the bike.  I've never seen another set anywhere... even on ebay.

Brendan

'98 BRG Tiger

apache

Still have the stockers?? does that mean you`ll surrender them to me for expirementation??? surely there just cluttering the garage.

BR

Hey Apache!

Yes, they are cluttering up my garage but I have a habit of keeping stuff like that because when it comes time for resale, I like to have them for the next lucky owner.  AND, I actually like to put them back on once in a while just for the change (less noise).  They sure are heavy, too!!

I think it would be quite interesting to cut one in half or down the middle just to see what's in there but I just...... I just can't do it!!!  LOL.

Brendan

apache

I dont blame you for wanting to keep them, I would to. I was looking at removing the rivits on the end of the can and doing surgery on the baffles etc. I have a friend who make bike exhaust systems and I can get perforated tubing and the likes. thought  a pair of stock lookin hipo cans would be cool. I did some mods on my DR 650 stock can simply by gutting it somewhat and some other mode and it smoked every other system I tried, Supercrapp, Cobra etc. It was even quiet. Pity as I used to work for a major bike exaust header/exhaust co and saw many terrible results from adding a full exhaust. But then if your willing to spend endlesss hours trying different jetting combos it would eventually pay off somewhat.

BR

Apache,

Oh, I see... you're looking to do just some minor surgery on the cans.  I had a friend who had nice low mile '98 Tiger and he removed the end caps on his stock cans.  They had three or four small spot welds which were easily removed with a grinder or dremel tool.  Didn't seem to run much different but there was an increase in noise for sure (small exit hole now big on the end of the cans).   This bike was actually one I had looked at for sale 2+ yrs ago...  had very low miles but rather high asking price unfortunately.

Brendan

'98 BRG Steamer

apache

Pertty much my thoughts there as well. open the baffles and tubes/end caps to let it breath, wouldent mind a little growl from it but in my older and wiser years Im startin to like quiet. But if there was no performance gains why bother? It would be nice to loose a few pounds up high. Im 6'3" and 240 or so. I feel for the 180 lb/ 5' 8" or so rider. This thing gets haevy up high when full of gas and gear.

Mudhen

Quote from: "apache"I feel for the 180 lb/ 5' 8" or so rider. This thing gets haevy up high when full of gas and gear.

6'3" 240lbs - you must be all scrunched up on the Tiger?

I've been making the rounds at the local bike shops looking for a real off roader for next season and at 5'9" 150lbs it's hard to get up on a DRZ or XR650R with seat heights around 37"....
\'96 Steamer

apache

I put some bar risers on it and still have the stock seat. Its pertty comfy except the seat is a Ok and the pegs are to high and far back for my liking. I was bidding on a Corbin for it on Ebay that ended sat, (someone else got it). Kinda glad now I didnt get it cause it looks like it drops the seating position even lower. I still would love to have a good sportbike, but just cant hang with the seating position and amount of weight on the wrists. one to many surgeries. all in all, this is the best all arounder Ive ever had.

Mudhen

Ever ridden a GS?  My '04 Adventure certainly was much 'roomier' ergonomically than the Steamer is...
\'96 Steamer

apache

Actually my friend whom I ride with has a 05 Adveture. He loves it.Ive no more than sat on it,I dont think he trusts me not to abuse it?? Yes it feels pretty roomy,the big tank seems odd but im sure it would take getting used to. For the simple fact Ive never owned a opposed BMW twin, a GS will be my next bike most likely. There pricey no doubt, worth the xtra 5K? you tell me. But for what I have invested in the Tiger Ill keep it also.

BR

Funny how different everybody is...  my issue is being way too tall at 6'11"!  Never had problem with touching the ground on any bike but leg room has always been an issue for cars and airplanes.  However, my Steamer still feels like a big bike to me and I'm comfortable on it for local rides; never done any distance on it.  That's one of the reasons I've never been into long rides... comfort.  AND, I'm not ready for a gold wing yet.  Even when I had a Kaw Concours.... much better but all day rides.... forget it.  Never had trouble picking up bikes or getting them on center stands either (but that's mostly technique IMO).

Brendan (just call me "Slim")

'98 BRG Tiger (could use a better seat tho!)

apache

Dang hauss, 6'11" and Sasquach mentioned he`s 400lbs. and how tall?? Yeah my decision on the Tiger was in part to its size, it a big bike. Nothin like being called a "monkey F------g a football" when your riding. This bike was built for us big folks :lol: