News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Loose Ignition Switch

Started by marko, September 17, 2005, 06:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko

Upon returning home today,I noticed the ignition switch seemed to be moving in it's mounting.Looking closer,the darn thing was about to fall out!Examining the bolts I found that the heads were rounded off somewhat and that they were probably never tightened properly.I will address this to the dealer on my next trip which seem to be all to often with my '05.This may also be a source of the front end rattle I sometimes experience.but I have not ridden since tightening the ignition module.By the way has anyone heard of a recall involving head bolts?
\"Get on your bad motor scooter and ride\"

tigerpa

i can address the problem i just had with my 05 with 1700 miles on it.....the ignition switch was loose and i found out that the two bolts used to tighten the darn thing are shear bolts ...meaning the heads twist off upon tightening to prevent theft of your switch....poor set-up if you ask me....i  got them both out by riding (vibration)....went to the store and got 2-  m6 x 20 pan head screws and tightened them up.....that was 3 weeks ago    ...   still tight

marko

Just got back from the hardware store--no more loose,falling-out ignition switch.The people at the store are much more helpful than the dealer from which the bike was purchased!Problem solved--cost--.43 cents! Why didn" Triumph think of this?
\"Get on your bad motor scooter and ride\"

ArizonaKid

This must be a common Tiger (Triumph?) thing.  The exact thing happened to me when one of the original fasteners fell out and the switch moved all over the place. I was able to get the other one out with a very small socket and replaced both with proper fasteners.  Problem solved.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger