News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain adjustment

Started by waltconrad, September 22, 2005, 08:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltconrad

The dealership here said I need to sit on the bike while checking the chain. They said if you check it while it's on it's centerstand it will end up too tight and may snap. It seems that checking the chain while sitting on the bike is not going to be easey. How do you all check the tiger's chain?
"Love means never having to say your sorry." Richard M. Nixon.

Chris Canning

Do exactly what the dealer said,both for one up and two,most people at some time have done it by the book and ended up with a banjo string!!!

Chris

Mudhen

There's absolutely no way I can sit on the bike and check the chain...I've tried several different ways and almost ended up on the ground each time.  However, I do see the benefit of doing it, so when my bike goes back together with its new chain next week, I plan on having someone of similar weight sit on it so I can set it appropriately.

How much play should there be when it's loaded?
\'96 Steamer

apache

The tightest point of the chain is when there is a straight line formed from the center of the counter sproket,swingarm pivot and rear axle. This form the longest distance. So in a nut shell yes it needs to be compressed to see the effect. Follow Triumphs specs for looseness as they take all this into consideration. Ive used a tiedown from the swingarm to a seat rail before on others to compress the rear. Hope this helps.

Mudhen

Quote from: "apache"Follow Triumphs specs for looseness as they take all this into consideration.

Actually, according to the forums, the Triumph specs are much too tight...that's why everyone says to verify it on your own.

I always used the 1.5" on the center stand...but after my recent chain issues once I put the new chain on I'm going to check it for myself.  I may start believing ALL the people that keep writing in saying 1.5" is too tight!
\'96 Steamer

apache

Could be right on that one. On my 97 I set it about 1.5" loose and when I got home from a long ride with me off the bike I had pretty much no play. I still havent figured that one out. I backed it off a tad and its been fine since.. Go figure?? I lube mine every 250mi or so as well. In a nut shell its best to compress it if possible to get a good adjustment. Ya might wanna rotate the wheel 360 and check the tension every 1/8 turn or so. I think my issue was from a unevenly worn sprocket or shretched spot in the chain. Hum, to many wheelies I guess.

Bliker

I took the seat off and just sat on the frame to adjust the chain on the Tiger. I tried it with the seat on and almost landed on my head with the bike on top of me. I can reach it easily with the seat off.
2004 Tiger

Mudhen

Quote from: "Bliker"I took the seat off and just sat on the frame to adjust the chain on the Tiger. I tried it with the seat on and almost landed on my head with the bike on top of me. I can reach it easily with the seat off.

:idea:

That's a great idea!

One warning, though...don't try to do it on the trail...it doesn't work that way...

\'96 Steamer

Lummox

If your adjusting the chain on the stand then keep it loose! Almost too loose! 3" movement.

kpresco2

I set mine at 50MM with the bike on a paddock stand - so there is still some weight on the suspension.

waltconrad

Thanks all. I'm tring to get my nerve up to put a chain oiler on ,but I'm afraid to cut the vacume hose ,whatever that is.
"Love means never having to say your sorry." Richard M. Nixon.

djr

fit a pro-oiler instead, electronically pumped and no vacuum problems to deal with

jp4evr

So I've been bugging Mudhen (thanks) for some help with chain adjustment.  I have a 2000 and on the center stand, I'm somewhere around 2-3 inches of travel.  

When i start out at slow speeds, I sometimes hear some slapping of the chain.  Is this normal?  Should it be tighter.  

as a backgrounder, I may be one of the smaller tiger riders and really don't compress the suspension much at 5'10" 170lb.
2000 TIGER - Current - finally....

2000 TT600 - now my wife\'s ring

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

1998 Suzuki - Bottom of ravine - Oops!

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Mudhen"
Quote from: "apache"Follow Triumphs specs for looseness as they take all this into consideration.

Actually, according to the forums, the Triumph specs are much too tight...that's why everyone says to verify it on your own.

I always used the 1.5" on the center stand...but after my recent chain issues once I put the new chain on I'm going to check it for myself.  I may start believing ALL the people that keep writing in saying 1.5" is too tight!

I agree.  Triumph specs are too tight.  The Triumph dealer (PJ's Triumph) in Albuquerque, NM, adjusts the chain way looser than spec, closer to a dirt bike type setting.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

tigerhund

I keep my chain between 1.75" and 2.0", measured with the bike on the center stand and (of course) unladen.  I can see the bottom section of the chain moving up and down somewhat when I am riding, but it is by no means flapping wildly.  

I try not to look down at my chain for too terribly long while riding.....