News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Beating the rust

Started by Sofalofa2005, September 27, 2005, 05:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sofalofa2005

Hi All,

Well I took the plunge and bought an '05 Tiger yesterday, pick it up Saturday... am like a kid on Christmas Eve!

Right, winter's coming, the Tiger is gonna be used all year round. It's in mint condition and I want to try and keep it looking good. I don't have a garage so it'll be living outdoors (under a cover). Does anybody have any recommendations about protective oils and sprays etc that might help keep the corrosion away? I'm not one for polishing a bike every 2 minutes so It'll get a proper wash at the weekends.

Cheers m' dears

greg

Scotoiler F365 works a treat. Spray it on after a ride, neutralises the salt and other crap, you can wash later at your leisure.
2004 Girly.

MARKC

Have to agree with Greg Scottoil spray is good stuff.

During the winter when the bike gets covered in salt just give it a hosing down with cold water,especially the calipers before you cover it up.

Get a bike cover that allows air to ventilate around the bike.

I have the same problem in living in probably one of the soggiest parts of the world (Manchester)

Foxy

Rust? What's that? My six year old bike only has rust on the heads of a couple of bodywork fittings.

Dunk it in FS365 & leave it until spring :)

Aussie Tiger

Down here in Oz we don't have the right climate to warrant salt on the road.  However, there is an awful lot of coast line and some very nice beach runs north and south of Brisbane. (Some are over 100klm's long, I kid you not!) so salt water corrosion is a big problem.  What alot of guy's do around here is fit an electronic device that works in a similar fasion to what is fitted to some outboard motors for boats. Basically, it sends a small current through the metal parts and these in turn are connected to small aluminium annode/s which corode instead.  An added bennefit is that it keeps the painted surfaces (that is, any metal painted surfaces) looking bright and posished for longer as it inhibits oxidation. There are several companies in Australia that make these devices but I am pretty sure there would be an equivilant in your part of the world.  They usually sell for around $400.00 AUD so it is a relatively small outlay to protect your investment.
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Never regret growing old...Its a privilege not afforded to many!

greg

Never heard of that but sounds interesting. Is it possible that I am beginning to suffer from gadgetitess?
2004 Girly.

fastslug

looks like another ' must have ' is getting added to my shoppong list.

SIBBO

I have heard of these before and seen them used in the uk, i have seen them used on landrovers to stop the aluminium bodywork corroding, basically the aluminium anodes act as the slave for the rest of the bodywork, this is a particular problem where aluminium meets steel products and you get  a corrosive reaction.

Aussie Tiger

Check out this site.  It is an Australian company but has some good information about different types of electronic rust protection.  it is a little different than the type I mentioned above but is probably a better system for vehicles including bikes. The other system works best when parts are submerged as it relies on the water/moisture to complete the circuit. (very good for 4 wheel drives or other vehicles that spend alot of time driving through deep water.) But probably not as efficient in free air.http://www.erps.com.au
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Never regret growing old...Its a privilege not afforded to many!

waltconrad

Move to southern Nevada, my 94 Toyota truck has 0 rust. i washed it back in 97 i think.
"Love means never having to say your sorry." Richard M. Nixon.