News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

victory motorcycles

Started by ballmick, October 11, 2005, 10:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballmick

has anybody got a victory, if so what are they like. thinking of getting one as a second bike with my tiger

greg

Oh dear, flirting with the darkside :shock: [/i][/b]
2004 Girly.

bretzg

A buddy of mine rented one in Las Vegas and we took a three-day trip through Utah and Nevada. I was impressed with the Victory. Good power, seemed to be built well and a whole lot cheaper than a Harley and I personally think, a much better value. You should do what my buddy did, rent one first to see what you think. It was not very expensive and it's a great way to try one out before laying down your cash.
gary b

apache

I purchased bike #1460 of the first 1500 V92`s. I realize like most new ventures there are problems and were there. The bike was one issue, but the dealership network and Polaris are pathetic, trust me if you think HD is shit?? you have no idea. I swapped the vic for a HD and 40K later I havent looked back. Trans failures causing lockup of the bike at any speed,quoted 6K to fix it. failed voltage regulators,hell it was even shot when I bought the bike and the dealer claimed to know nothing about it, while there was another one there with the same problem, warped rotors, I could go on but theres no piont. If you descide to buy PLEASE dont use Polaris credit sources. I paid my bike off early,sent a check for some 5K, they cash it, I have proof of delivery, they claim to have never seen any check and near destroy my credit. After researching the issue I find its a common problem and many are affected by the same scam. I sell the bike Inform Polaris at least 5 times with the new owner so he can get the Fcatory recalls and TSB, and still some 5 years later they still havent figured it out. Then the dealer  has the balls to phone me and bitch me out for filling out a poor dealer/owner report card. I am a supporter of products from My country, America, but I wouldent piss on the Polaris co if it was on fire. Just thought Id share my swell Victory story with you.

SkiCSE

Ok so I have to respond...I have what is called a mid year bike. It is a 1999 sold in 2000 with a few chrome upgrades...basically a unnumbered 1999.  I have experienced all the issues listed above.  Transmission, alternator, kick stand, ....but Polaris has been square for the most part, items were recalled replaced, labor was covered.  The only issue was the transmission and I paid labor, they sent parts and it was 4 years past sale and 2 years out of warranty and I was the second owner (not too bad).  The tranny issue dissolved in 2002/2003.

If you were to buy a first year product, would you not expect complications?  Would you expect them to back up the product?  Polaris does.  True you don't have the dealership coverage and that has always been a big issue with other major manufacturers, but quality is definitely stronger in Polaris.  Like most dealerships you need to find a healthy one, a good Victory dealer is not solely Victory and has a healthy energetic sales floor (not just sales guys).  Interview the Service Manager and if he is worth his salt he will let you talk to a tech or two.  

You want honest information on Victory?...check out www.thevmc.com and you will get a straight story.  I agree you should ride one and more than just around the block, renting would be great.  You have to get past the new vehicle rush...you will find them powerful, more balanced, and easier to maintain, even the older ones.  Good Luck and hope to hear from you soon

Dick Boyer

Test rode a Hammer and another, can't remember the name but the 92 cu in one a couple of months ago. The Hammer was great with the 6 speed. But couldn't find neutral on the 5 speed at any time, stopped or coasting to a stop. Otherwise an impressive machine. Good power, something HD doesn't have. For the same money I'd look at the Rocket.

apache

"good power,something HD doesnt have" Hum, not to disrespect anyony but my 99 HD does 120 which is faster than my Tiger@112 ,pulls hard specailly loaded with 400 lbs of us and gear for 2 days and gets 45mpg. granted it cost twice what a Triumph does but with 40K its still will bring a good resale. They say steamers are like a farm implement?? ha,ha,he,he, ride my HD. Both great fun.

Dick Boyer

A stock Harley only has about 70hp compared to about 100hp for a Victory. If you Tiger only does 112mph, theres something wrong with it. Mine does 125 easy at 3500 ft.

dancope

Only 112 mph on a tiger?  I have done that easy two-up plus gear, at least 600 lbs on the bike while chasing a couple of crotch rockets for fun.  I went on while they stopped for gas, haha.  I also rode with a'05 HD E-Glide and he said he nearly blew up his bike trying to keep up.  I was two-up with camping gear for a weekend at Red River, NM. and he was single.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "apache"it cost twice what a Triumph does but with 40K its still will bring a good resale. They say steamers are like a farm implement?? ha,ha,he,he, ride my HD. Both great fun.

Now if want to add another over priced piece of farming equipment to the barn you could try a Moto-Guzi, it has got plenty of low-end grunt for plow pulling as well. Not sure about the resale value though.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

apache

Seems top end is off somewhat on mine from your comparos. I know im in need of some jetting work, and I think someone has already beat me to it with unknown jet sizes. My daily rides take me from sea level to 3K + in elevation which shouldent make much difference but it seems to here.

SteveRivet

QuoteNow if want to add another over priced piece of farming equipment to the barn you could try a Moto-Guzi, it has got plenty of low-end grunt for plow pulling as well. Not sure about the resale value though.

My buddy has a Vic, and I have a 99 Guzzi Bassa.  He's got an 03 or 04 with the new type engine; it's a lot better than the first one that came out, and pretty fast.  Shifts smooth and handles good for a dreadnought.    My Bassa is definitely down on power vs either a Vic or a Tiger, but still above a stock HD TC.  Shifts like a tractor, but pulls like one too and handles great for a cruiser.   IMHO, either the Vic or the Guzzi would be good complements for a Tiger, but you can get the Guzzi for a lot less jack.

-Steve

Patrick the Scot

Steve, honestly, I have never ridden a Guzzi, nor do I know the exact prices.  I made the above assumptions on the following: Bill Kasson of Yamaha/Ducati/Moto-Guzzi of Austin stated they are "agricultural in nature;" the dollar-euro ratio; and the motor/trans lay out. I really need to ride a big v-twin and see what the big fuss is all about in respect to the "low-end torgue." Every owner of any torque monster, that I know personally, just absolutely loves the feel and performance of motors that make torque real low in the revs.  I can see why if they are any thing like the Triumph Rocket that I test flew here in Lubbock last spring. That thing had torque like a diesel truck.  It felt like I was riding the torque curve of a Cummins straight six.  Anyway, I must broaden  my horizons with the test of a Guzzi, and a new Victory, as well.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

apache

Must be why im partial to the HD, I have a diesel truck also. simplicity is good.