News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2006 front end clunk

Started by T100LESS, October 12, 2005, 07:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djr

I would expect the computer to notice a fault like no fan at all. The light will go out after three start up and cool downs.

ChrisN

Thanks for your efforts Patrick.

I guess we'll just have to live with the clunking.
Chris

Aussie Tiger

Oh dear. So, while the fan is responsible for some of the noise, it's obviously not the main culprit! Hmm, I've got a few days off next week so I will do a bit more investigating as well and see if we can't get to the bottom of this thing!  Look's like it's gunna be a beer and tool day....again! I'll keep you all posted as I find out more. (unless someone beats me to it, ie. Patrick)
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Never regret growing old...Its a privilege not afforded to many!

T100LESS

Thanks Patrick,

had another look myself last night.No luck,but I can say what it is not...On removing the fairing, I thought the clunk might be from the coolent reservior touching the petrol tank.I inserted some foam between the two, but to no effect. Back to square one.Dave..

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Aussie Tiger"Look's like it's gunna be a beer and tool day....again! I'll keep you all posted as I find out more. (unless someone beats me to it, ie. Patrick)

How 'bout ya, Aussie Tiger!  Go right ahead with the beer and tools and tear into your Tiger.  I will be thoroughly ingrossed in the University of Texas vs. Texas Tech Football Game on Saturday.  We are going to tap the keg at 1000 hrs. The game starts at 1430 hours, so i.e., Saturday is shot for me.  Next week I am taking the girls (wife and daughter) and the 4X4 monster truck up to the Cabin (10,000 feet ASL) 30 miles north of Pecos, New Mexico.  So next week is shot for wrenching as far as I go.  

Let us know what you find out.  I really am as stumped as everyone else.  I guess we all know what it is not, and eventually we should end up with one thing remaining, and that should be it.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Aussie Tiger"Oh dear. So, while the fan is responsible for some of the noise, it's obviously not the main culprit!

Two more things, the "fan shaft rattle" noise is a little higher pitched and more frequent than the lower toned, less frequent, and for the lack of a better expression, bigger "thonk" noise.  I actually held the fan in my hand and as you shake it back and forth the shaft of the fan bottoms out. It moves less than an 1/8".  Most refrigerant fans do this as well. I'm not sure if this is S.O.P. for moto fans, though.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

tommy

i have that "clonk" too in my 05 Tiger and it makes me angry since a year now

the sound does not come from the fan at my tiger, it comes from the fork

after one year of discussions with the dealer, triumph now will change the inner things of the fork with some wilbers-parts

i am waiting for nearly 2 month for this parts now  :(

T100LESS

To save us all some time and mental trauma,I rang the Triumph factory today and spoke to their customer relations officer.This is the offical blurb from Triumph..

When the 2005 and 2006 Tiger was introduced with up rated front suspension,valves were fitted to the top inside of the front suspension.When on the return stroke of the forks,you get a metal to metal noise,this is the valves working correctly,nothing wrong,nothing to worry about,etc etc, please go away and dont bother me again.

Sounds ok,but then I have just  read Tommy from Germanys post,something does not quite smell right,what say?

trotts

Greetings 05 and 06 owners !!

I have a smashing 03 model.  Upgraded front suspension with Hagon progressive springs.  No clonking.  Will do a deal with anyone who wants to p/x there 06 for my 03.  Cash adjustment to me of course  Blue favoured colour :lol:
Dave T

stuntmonkey955

Hi All,

My first post, and hope it's useful. I currently have an 03 speed triple (soon to be traded for an 06 Tiger as it is more suited to my needs now), anyway, the Speed3 had a clunk from the front after about 500 miles of use. Had the Headstock (Headrace) bearing adjusted by the dealer - problem solved. Clunk reappeared at 1500miles - bearing replaced under warranty (after much, MUCH complaining). At 4500 miles, clunk reappeared... adjusted bearing... problem solved. Guess what... it's back again. Apparently it's a very common problem on the speed3 and daytona 955i... (have heard rumours that triumph have recently changed the design of the headstock bearing....).

Might apply to the Tiger too!

Good luck in curing your 'clunk'

Dave.

Patrick the Scot

OK fellas, what do you think of what Stuntmonkey stated?

Aussie Tiger

QuoteWhen the 2005 and 2006 Tiger was introduced with up rated front suspension,valves were fitted to the top inside of the front suspension.When on the return stroke of the forks,you get a metal to metal noise,this is the valves working correctly,nothing wrong,nothing to worry about,etc etc, please go away and dont bother me again.

Sounds ok,but then I have just read Tommy from Germanys post,something does not quite smell right,what say?

OK all, this is it.  On further tinkering, swearing, knuckle stripping, head scratching I have to agree with T100LESS above.  That sound is definately comming from within the fork tubes themselves.   I read with interest Stuntmonkey955's comments about the Speed Tripple as this was also mentioned by the mechanic at my dealer.  However, this seemed to be a problem with the Speed Tripple and some Speed 4's along with the occassional Sprint but he had never heard of it happening to a Tiger.  Subsequently this was checked and guess-what, nice and tight as it should be.  

So yes, the sound is the valving in the new "up-rated" shocks. On the return (or rebound) stroke, the valving moves to restrict the oil from moving back into the main tube too quickly. This better controls the new single rate springs (as opposed to the tripple rate springs in previous models) from bouncing up and down like a "Pogo" stick!  When you strike a sharp bump such as a speed hump or pot hole, the energy is transferred very quickly resulting in a fast upward (dampening or bump) stroke and a subsequent fast return stroke as the spring tries to return to normal. It is this quick movement that causes the valving plates to knock. This is why it is less noticable or absent over more subtle bumps and road undulations.  Obviously, those who ride on rougher terain such as off road are going to notice the sound more.

So whats the solution?  Get used to it and enjoy the ride.  Alternatively, redo the inners of the forks, or (this option only for whimps) sell it and get something else.  As for me, I love the Tiger and don't even notice the noise so I'll definately be keeping mine!  And no, I won't be adjusting or changing anything because I think it handles and feels just fine. In the end, if it aint broke don't fix it!
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

lostsos

Ok guys,  here is my story.....I have a "thonking" 05 tiger that I can't figure out.  .  I also happen to have an 02 Daytona that has had the headstock noise.  In my case, the noises are comletely different.  The daytona makes the noise under hard braking (stops) while the tiger does it over the bumps.   When I tighten the top clamp on the Daytona, it goes away for a while until I have been riding on bumpy roads.  (My dealer has said that wheelies will cause this, but I can't remember a time that the front wheel has ever left the ground!!!)  Anyway, I took my Tiger in this past week and was given an 06 tiger as a loaner that I CAN'T (I tried really hard: curbs, speedbumps, little old ladies etc.) get to make "the noise".  I am not sure if I have a bad 05, or if they changed things a bit on the 06.  If it is just a noise, I will live with it.  I would just like to know for sure what the cause is.  I thought of trying the "fan" thing, but I am pretty certain that the noise is coming from the fork area.  I will visit the dealer manana and let you know what I find.  

:?:
02 Daytona CE

05 Tiger

Aussie Tiger

As I mentioned before, it appears that some 05 and 06 models don't make the noise but that the majority do.  I have heard that the latter built 06 models don't seem to exhibit the noise, which is a bit puzzling as everything in that area is supposed to be the same!  

It might be that Triumph has added something to quieten things down.  If this is the case, what?  And for those who are bothered by the noise, why not just offer this mystery part as free fix?  Of course, you can imagine the number of people who would rolling up for the part so they will probably not admit to anything.  Unfortunately, when it comes to these things, Triumph does seem to keep their cards close to their chest!
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

tommy

Hello there!

First, excuse my bad english  :wink:

After a long time waiting my dealer got the wilbers parts for the fork

On a first short test-ride (0 degrees, snowy weather) i was totaly happy with my tiger for the first time  :P

No clink clonk or clungs from the fork anymore  :)

the fork is a little bit harder but still sensitive - perfect feeling for the frontwheel

I took every little hole in the baddest streets i could find - no noise there

:D

It needed a longer time to get these things from Triumph, but this noise was so loud at my bike, that it was worth asking again and again.