News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2006 front end clunk

Started by T100LESS, October 12, 2005, 07:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T100LESS

Just completed my first 1000 miles,after first service and requests that the front end be looked at.The clunk is still there,removed fairing myself to check out,nothing found.

Has anyone out there found the cure for this or do we have to live with it?A great bike being being spoiled by this very annoying problem .Dave.

kraftdinners

Yup same knocking on me `06 Tigger as well, as you say I will also mention it on the first service, I also noticed a small spot of oil at the base of the clutch lever on the RH engine case, just by the little coil spring....another mention methinks as well...

Regards

Alan

NortonCharlie

That oil by the clutch lever is very likely left over packing oil.  A friend recently got a new Tiger and it appeared to be leaking a little in all kinds of strange places, it turned out to be the oil or comsmoline ( or whatever they use to keep it from rusting on the trip across the sea) wasn't completely cleaned off and it just melted off and ran all over after a few good warm ups.  A quick go over with GUNK cleared it up.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

MikeBenzon

The clunking sound from the front forks is normal for the 05 and 06 bikes, or at least most of them do it.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S
05 Triumph Tiger Lucifer Orange
08 Harley Ultra Classic Anniversary Copper

http://fast87.smugmug.com/

kraftdinners

Thanks guys for the info.will keep an eye on the leak, an eye on the tiger I suppose.....and also the "knocking" from the forks.....appreciated

pauljones1227

The clunking noise is the sliders in the front forks.

Sadly I've traded my 1 year old 05 for a KTM, one of the many reasons were the dealers refused to do anything about it, mine sounded like someone hitting the forks with a hammer when going over bumps

Aussie Tiger

I have an 06 Tiger with about 1800 klms on the clock (2 months old). I too thought that it was the sliders on the front forks.  My dealer is obviously alot more concerned with his customers as they had a good look at mine and also disected a new bike they were putting together in the workshop.  It appears that the knock/klonk is coming from the fan.  It's not hitting the shroud but the whole shaft is actually moving backwards and forwards through the electric motor. You can actually replicate the noise by getting your fingers on the fan and moving it quickly backwards and forwards. They say that this won't cause any problems (apart from the annoying noise) but they will check it at each service and if it gets worse will replace the whole part under warranty.

I'm not saying that this is normal, sounds a bit strange to me actually. However, I have learn't to live with it and now I hardly even notice it. Yes, apparenty most if not all the new ones do it so if it's going to fail, Triumph are going to have alot of angry customers to deal with, but I don't believe it will come to that.
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Never regret growing old...Its a privilege not afforded to many!

T100LESS

Just checked the fan on my 2006 and yes, thats were the clunk is coming from.Thanks lads for all your help and comments..

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Aussie Tiger"I have an 06 Tiger with about 1800 klms on the clock (2 months old). I too thought that it was the sliders on the front forks.  My dealer is obviously alot more concerned with his customers as they had a good look at mine and also disected a new bike they were putting together in the workshop.  It appears that the knock/klonk is coming from the fan.  It's not hitting the shroud but the whole shaft is actually moving backwards and forwards through the electric motor. You can actually replicate the noise by getting your fingers on the fan and moving it quickly backwards and forwards.

Brilliant! I thought the "sliders making the noise" explanation was a bit far fetched. I'll go with the fan shaft wiggle, for now.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

ChrisN

Interesting. My 05 has play in the fan shaft too.

I'll listen more carefully next time I jump 16 London buses  :D
Chris

Patrick the Scot

Yep, I got out and took a jab at the fan housing, Sure enough the rattle, clunk, thunk, whatever noise that we all here sure sounds like it is originating in the fan shaft area.  Has anyone taken off the fan and jumped off the sidewalk to see if in fact the noise stays with the bike or with the fan? I'll volunteer for such severe patriotic duty if need be.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

ChrisN

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"Has anyone taken off the fan and jumped off the sidewalk to see if in fact the noise stays with the bike or with the fan?

I'll volunteer for such severe patriotic duty if need be.

That's a damned good idea Patrick - let me know what you discover.
Chris

T100LESS

One vounteer is woth ten pressed men,be great if you could and give us all peace of mind,

Dave..

marko

\"Get on your bad motor scooter and ride\"

Patrick the Scot

All right then, I pulled off the fan.  The fan came out from behind the two radiators with relative ease.  I didn't even have to curse, but the Tiger did draw blood.  I went for a test ride and guess what: the "fan shaft rattle" (and there definitely is one) was missing as the fan was in the garage.  As I repeatedly drove off the sidewalk curb (6" vertical drop) into the street I found that the "thonk" was still present.  I thought it was the diagnostic computer plug that flops about in front of the horn, hitting the plastic of the fairing.  I duct-taped this up tight so it could not rattle. The "thonk" was still there.  I knocked about with my hams at the fender, brake calipers, horn, etc. and nothing replicated the "thonk"  I figured it was not any thing that I could see, but I am still not convinced of an inner fork collision that makes the sound. Maybe it is though.  I buckled the bike back together, started the bike up and found out that the orange engine light was on.  I guess it must of come on because I unplugged the fan.  The motor never even came off cold, so I guess this is just a computer warning to the once missing connection.  More later if I can find anything.