News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Triumph is a no show.

Started by Green Lantern, November 02, 2005, 03:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Lantern

I dropped by my local dealer today to buy some heavier riding gloves and he mentioned that Triumph has had problems with the Teamsters Union during the Motorcyle shows in North America. The Teamsters, by law, are paid to back the trucks up and unload the bikes at the arenas.  Apparantly it almost came to blows in Philly, because the Triumph guys refused. So they packed up and withdrew from the show as well as cancled ALL remaining USA shows. No Triumph at Javitz (NYC) in January 06 or anywhere else.  This sucks because I was looking forward to chatting them up about any possible Tiger upgrades in the near future.

They did, however, show up for Paris ( I didn't) and the new Daytona 675 got very high marks on Motorcycle dot com.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Green Lantern"The Teamsters, by law, are paid to back the trucks up and unload the bikes at the arenas....the Triumph guys refused. So they packed up and withdrew from the show as well as cancled ALL remaining USA shows.

What exactly was the objection to the teamsters actually working? What was Triumphs reason for refusing and what did they refuse? Help me out here, I think I must have been drinking to much Cutty Sark to follow this...
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

whoa

Good for them.  Glad to hear Triumph didn't pay the extortion fees.

MikeBenzon

What a bunch of crap, you drive the truck all over the country and then you are not qualified to back it into the loading dock? I hate sillyness.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S
05 Triumph Tiger Lucifer Orange
08 Harley Ultra Classic Anniversary Copper

http://fast87.smugmug.com/

Green Lantern

What's up guys.

Patrick the scot, in regards to your question, Triumph refused to pay the Teamsters to one, back the truck into the loading dock. And two, to unload each motorcycle from the truck. There is a fee for every motorcycle unloaded off the truck. I don't know how much. It's feking silly, but they must make a lot of money doing it. Otherwise Jimmy Hoffa never would have ran the Teamsters Union to begin with!

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Green Lantern"What's up guys.

Patrick the Scot, in regards to your question, Triumph refused to pay the Teamsters to one, back the truck into the loading dock. And two, to unload each motorcycle from the truck. There is a fee for every motorcycle unloaded off the truck. I don't know how much. It's feking silly, but they must make a lot of money doing it. Otherwise Jimmy Hoffa never would have ran the Teamsters Union to begin with!

Ahhh!  Now it makes sense. So basically Triumph refused to be extorted. Why won't the show organizers use a non-union trucking company such as Land Star Ranger, England, or 100 other large, reputable, and competent trucking firms to move their show? Could it be that the show organizers and the racketeers are one and the same?

Of course, we don't want to be to hard on the racketeers, I mean "everybody's got a right to earn" - Paulie, from The Sopranos
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Sasquatch

Unions are about as corrupt as they come.  

The reason they did not use non union trucking....  They (Triumph) probably does have non union truckers.  But the convention center has a contract enforced with the Unions.  All work must be done by union workers.  That is about as anti-free trade as you can get.

At a recent motorhome rally in Kalifornia, we could not turn the lights on in the convention center with out not one, but two union electritions.  Did you understand what I just said?  We could not turn on the freaking light switch with out two of those entitlement grubbing welfare bastards to throw the freaking switch.

Then it got worse....

When the decoration committee went in to set the tables for dinner with their centerpieces that they all made, they could not even put the table cloths and centerpieces on the tables, yup, union workers again had to be called in and do the work while these ladies watched and directed them.

I absolutely loathe the unions.  I will intentionally pay a higher price for a product that is made in a non union shop rather than support a union shop.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Unions are about as corrupt as they come.  

The reason they did not use non union trucking....  They (Triumph) probably does have non union truckers.  But the convention center has a contract enforced with the Unions.  All work must be done by union workers.  That is about as anti-free trade as you can get.

I absolutely loathe the unions.  I will intentionally pay a higher price for a product that is made in a non union shop rather than support a union shop.

I was a construction superintendent on a prison job over in New Mexico on which the electrician, by state law, had to be a union shop.  I must say that their work was flawless, but all the bids were about 50% higher than they would have been across the state line in Texas.  Would the work have been flawless had it been a non-union shop?  On my job yes, and it would have been done twice as fast.  The loser here is, of course, the taxpayer of New Mexico. I think most of the State of New Mexico is affected in some manner or another by the "mordida" or in english "little bite" - i.e. kickback.  Maybe that is why the entire State has everything overpriced and underserviced. And look at the poverty level as compared to the rest of the Nation. Are all the social problems of such welfare/entitlement states such as New Mexico due to the organized labor racketeering? No, of course not.  However, it is just another downward pressure on an already stressed situation.

Whatever the politics, corruption, and social welfare situation, New Mexico is one of my favorite places, outside of Colorado, to lay down some miles on el Tigre.

iansoady

Quote from: SasquatchUnions are about as corrupt as they come.  

I for one would appreciate it if we could confine our discussions to Triumph Tigers and not make wild statements such as these. I can quite imagine the response if I posted my opinions of George Bush on the forum.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sasquatch

Quote from: "iansoady"

I for one would appreciate it if we could confine our discussions to Triumph Tigers and not make wild statements such as these. I can quite imagine the response if I posted my opinions of George Bush on the forum.

Spoken like a true union worker (I assume...)..

As a moderator here, I do not mind at all when discussions stray off course once in a while.  It adds color and interest to the board.  I will not allow it to progress into personal attacks on character, or go anywhere near as south as the "joMomma" forum on ADVrider, but you are free to voice your opinion.

If you never go off on a tangent, you are doomed to going around in circles.

greg

Nicely put. Sounds like a job for Margaret Thatcher.
2004 Girly.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "iansoady"

Can you imagine the reponse? Just what do you think it would be? Our reponse to your opinions might suprise you...

TRIUMPH TIGER

(I always stay on topic)

ChrisN

Opinion: A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

Just my opinion.... :lol:....please continue.
Chris

kraftdinners

Heartily agree, I myself find it very interesting the views and news from across the pond, pray continue the conversation guys..

Regards

Alan

MarkF

Like most things in life this is something taken too far that was in place for a legit reason to begin with.  For example it's possible people were being injured and goods damaged by low bid, untrained labor and the union requirement was a way to fix that.  Or the workers were bidding against one another and the price fell so low as to not attract skilled labor.  I know the Javitts center has all those union requirements in place and don't doubt it's corrupt and that workers are overpaid for taking too long to complete the task.  But at one time most laborers in NYC could not afford to feed their families and were dying on the job in record numbers.  I'm glad that is no longer the case and the unions are mostly to thank.  Yes, I have been in a union since 1988.
MarkF

\"I\'d rather be riding...\"