News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Timing chain question

Started by georover1, November 23, 2005, 01:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

georover1

What is the life span of the timing chain on these motors? I'm going to be replacing the head gasket on my '99 and would like to know if I should plan on doing the chain and blades also. The bike has 46k but I don't know the history of it. Also what is the best indication when I get into the motor  that the timing chain is done?

Thanks all.
Mmmmmm......Beer

\'99 Tiger,

Sasquatch

I do not think you can take the chain out without tearing apart the entire motor.  The only true way to check it is to lay it out flat on a work bench.  Then compress the chain so to take out all slack.  THen stretch it out and see how much differece there is between stretched and compressed.  But, if you go to the trouble of taking it out, replace it.

NortonCharlie

I got some info from the Yahoo Tiger group about measuring the depth the chain tensioner is recessed to inducate the state of wear on the chain.  I don't have the numbers handy but it is a simple process of removing the bolt and spring then measure the depth of the plunger.  I did this on my 01 955 at about 50,000 miles and it showed almost no wear.  I'll try doing a search there and get some numbers back to you.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

NortonCharlie

Here is a clip from Johann

QuoteUse a 19mm spanner to remove the big nut on the

tensioner, remove the spring and use a depth gauge (vernier) to measure the

full depth of the plunger. If it's close to 60mm (full travel measured from

the face where the copper washer seats) you're heading for trouble. Depth

with a new chain is about 50mm. Whatever you do don't remove the two

retaining bolts that hold the tensioner body in place, otherwise the timing

chain WILL jump.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

georover1

Thanks for the info. I guess ill be able to tell by the wear on the wipers also. My local dealer said that 60k is when the chain should be replaced and mine has 46k. I put over 9k on the bike in six months so if i keep up that pace it will definitely need one by the end of next summer. The problem is i dont know whats been done to this bike and dont want to replace a chain that has already been replaced and has a lot of mileage left. Now i know how to measure it. Thanks.
Mmmmmm......Beer

\'99 Tiger,

georover1

Got the Tiger back together today after doing a new head gasket. My timing chain must be almost new because it measured 48mm  after removing the nut fom the tensioner and the plunger was only extended about 1/2 inch. What i found odd was the cylinder liners had no sealer on them and pulled out fairly easy without the need for the special tool. I did use sealer when i put them back in though. I also got a little coolant in the crank case when i pulled the liners so that created a nightmare.  The oil looked very contaminated after running it for a couple minutes so i went and bought more oil and filters and spent the rest of the day flushing. After three flushings and alot of $ later it looks fine. Now the only problem is the engine light is on. From what i've read on this site the ecu should reset after a few rides, i hope.
Mmmmmm......Beer

\'99 Tiger,