News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dash Lights

Started by Clemski, December 17, 2005, 06:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clemski

:D  Just got back in after a nice ride back from my dads, unfortunatly pitch black when I left his, and I had forgotton how dire the rear lighting for the speedo is, has any body found a way or knows of a way to get enough light behind there to see what speed your doing, before the boys in blue get the tickets out. I was also thinking of getting some of those Touratech driving lights, anybody got them fitted or know what they are like,  Cheers
Just love riding my Tiger, anywhere and everywhere.

MARKC

I've got a 885i Tiger so I dont know if the lighting on the dash is any different from the new batch.But I find its the colour (green) rather than the brightness which makes the clocks difficult to read.

kraftdinners

maybe a darker "dash" bulb ?  maybe the OEM bulb is too bright and washes out the green lettering..just a thought...

Alan

Sofalofa2005

Just thought I'd add that's my one big niggle with my Tiger... The lighting on the clock faces really pees me off. Very uneven, and totally unreadable at dusk. Looks okay during the day but that's all. Looks like a few bulbs have blown in there. Can't even read mine under 20mph (and that's when it's completely dark) as the light is so dim... wish there was a fix...

apache

If im not mistaken a higher wattage bulb can be installed, or pull them out and try a different color using a ink marker. On my 97 at least you can remove the center fairing section and remove the bulbs. I bet with a little creativeness you could replace them with LED`s from radio shack or any electronics store.

iansoady

There is a http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1183 thread describing using LEDs for warning lights which I have adopted and found excellent. Possibly a similar solution for clock lighting may be possible?

Sorry can't seem to get the URL to work properly.......

Oh it seems to work when it's posted.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Frank.B

I would agree with all the comments above. However i would not advise increasing the wattage in this location as the extra heat generated is likely to cause some damage to the surrounding plastic components.

I have tried superbright L.E.D bulbs supplied by www.triumphtiger-online.co.uk they sell these as an alternative parking light bulb and told me they did not recommend them for the instruments as they had tried them here and gained no improvement. I had to try them anyhow, but they were correct their is no improvement at all! although they improve the parking lights dramatically! perhaps its just a poor design of instrument and we have to live with it..

Frank.
\"greetings to you....friends of peace\"

russ_fae_fyvie

I bought the PIAA Driving lights instead (a bit cheaper than the Tourtech ones) and they are brilliant, very bright and look real good as you can see. Would recommend them.

iansoady

Quote from: russ_fae_fyvieI bought the PIAA Driving lights instead (a bit cheaper than the Tourtech ones) and they are brilliant, very bright and look real good as you can see. Would recommend them.

You just wanted to show off your paint job again didn't you.......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Did you make the rad guards or did you buy e'm

russ_fae_fyvie

Ian, yup, guilty as charged !!   :lol:

Chris the guards are a pair from Mikes Grilles, really nice finish and dead easy to fit, I think they're a wee bit pricy at £55 for the pair but after spending all the other dish I thought why spoil the ship for a ha'peth of tar (god I'm showing my age now !!)

Quote from: "russ_fae_fyvie"Ian, yup, guilty as charged !!   :lol:

That paint is doing my eyes in! It's no wonder you need extra to see where you're going.

Doesn't really help with the instrument lighting though. The only cure I can think of is to put stickers onto the "glass" like you would have to if the bike had a Kilometre speedo.

russ_fae_fyvie

Must admit the original problem (somewhere up top!) is a real design fault for Triumph, I think everyone knows how bad it is to read the dials and at this time of the year its just guesswork.

Pity Triumph didn't admit to it and put out a solution, too late now though I expect.

NebraskaRat

That's exactly what I have done to cure the problem.  I have placed small trianglular shaped tick marks cut out of black decal material over the 40MPH and 60MPH lines on the speedometer glass face.  In low light conditions I can quickly recognize my speed anywhere from 35 - 65 MPH by the needle's relation to the tick marks, without identifying the numbers. I have found it also speeds up my recognition time in the day light because I'm not looking at the numbers anymore, just a quick glance of the needle position and the tick marks.

Chris Canning

Thanks for that Rus,i'd seen  pair on a Tiger earlier on in the year and thought blimey if their home made it's pretty good job!!!