News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

coolant leak '99

Started by barjan, March 05, 2005, 03:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick the Scot

I noticed about a quarter-shots worth of blue fluid on the floor of the garage the other morning after the temp had dropped to about 5 degrees F.  It looked to be coming from up around the hose that goes from the head to the radiator on the left side.  ???  I'm not sure about this location of said source of leak, But at the time I did not think too much of it as I've heard many of you talk about coolant "burps."  Now, after reading this thread, I'm a bit more concerned.  Guess I have to notify PJ's.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

barjan

The leakage stopped on my bike. I had to wreck it and buy a 955i to realise that. Costs more than a new gasket I'm afraid.

About the colour of the fluid. I only know there are two types of coolant. The ready made new stuff (as far as I have seen is blue) and the old stuff (green) which you had to mix with water. The thing with the new (blue) stuff is that it reacts with water, so if you add water in stead of coolant, you will have to drain the hole system. If you don't ,the reaction in the fluid will eat away gaskets. (This is what I'm told, I'm not a coolant-whiz).

The problem is however not with the colour of the coolant, it is with the 885 efi engine. Weak design point and a costly one. Keep it warm enough and you will probably never see the problem.

(the 955 also looses some coolant, but that's just a hoseclamp (under the tank, haven't had the time (or spirit) to remove it.)