News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Close to being a Tiger Owner

Started by msats, February 01, 2006, 02:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msats

I am thinking of picking up a 99 tiger for 4500$.Is this is a good price ?

Also this bike is not local any one know of a tiger for sale near boston?

a 2002 and older

I had a 2005 vstrom for about 5 month and put 9k miles on it.it was a great ride but due to a big change in financial status i sold it .

Anyway ,can anyone campare them and tell me how different this bike will be to a strom.I also had a bandit 1200s for 3 yrs and 45k miles so you can campare it to that too.

msats

Damn.... must have been a hard question?

Mudhen

$4500 doesn't sound completely out of line for a nice '99 (first year for the fuel injected Tigers).  I've seen similiar mileage, older bikes for around the same price.  What options does it have?  Bags?

I don't remember reading anything bad about them, other than the crankcase breather issue (when they fall over and pump oil into the #1 cylinder, then later blow the engine).  So make sure the bike isn't 'ticking' when it's idling!

If you buy it, do a search and run the new breather line.  It may be worth the couple bucks on the new hose.

For Strom vs Tiger comparo, you may want to ask/search over on advrider.  I came over here from a GS, so can't comment on it.

Good luck!
\'96 Steamer

msats

has luggage and corbin

TigerTrax

$4500 .. not bad if it's in damned good shape/runs perfect.

I'll take $3900 for my screaming '98 Tramp Steamer.

Baxter Cycles in Marne, Iowa have a nice 2000 Black/call Kevin

Let's back up....

1. Tigers have a 'ticking sound' when they run ... it's Brit thing!

2. If you suspect/know the bike has been layed over ....

put it in 6th gear; Engine OFF; ... walk it backwards about 20 paces...

2 people will have fun doing that!

3. OR.. lift the tank; Pull the heat shields; Pull the plugs;

The 3 cylinder Triumph engine is one tough piece of work. The '99 is not a bad bike ... but I'd shoot for an '00 - '02.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Mudhen

Quote from: "TigerTrax"$4500 .. not bad if it's in damned good shape/runs perfect.

I'll take $3900 for my screaming '98 Tramp Steamer.

Baxter Cycles in Marne, Iowa have a nice 2000 Black/call Kevin

Let's back up....

1. Tigers have a 'ticking sound' when they run ... it's Brit thing!

2. If you suspect/know the bike has been layed over ....

put it in 6th gear; Engine OFF; ... walk it backwards about 20 paces...

2 people will have fun doing that!

3. OR.. lift the tank; Pull the heat shields; Pull the plugs;

The 3 cylinder Triumph engine is one tough piece of work. The '99 is not a bad bike ... but I'd shoot for an '00 - '02.

When I was looking last year at this time, really nice Steamers were running around $3500-$4k.  A '98 with 1500 miles on it was $4500.  A '99 for $4500 with 10k miles, bags, AND a Corbin?  Sounds AWESOME!!

My engine doesn't tick.  I'd be extremely worried about buying an 885i that was making any sort of noise - because nobody seems to know to do your little back up trick - and you obviously have to do it BEFORE running it so it won't do a potential buyer any good.
\'96 Steamer

msats

The bike is 500 miles from me...i have made any commitment.I am going to keep looking for 00-02 tiger if i find one i am jump get it.

If not this will be a back up

TigerTrax

Dear Mud ..

The guy made a statement   'should the bike get layed over and drain  gas into the cylinder'... I simply suggested how that can be resolved.....

As for my Steamer ....

I place the value on it ... not someone who's never seen it. Especially you, who doesn't know it's condition and how it's equipped. FYI... the market on Tigers has been holding it's own or creeping up over the past year .. especially Steamers. For most of us that's good.

FYI .. I had 5 inquiries to buy that Steamer ... but I am selling my 2nd bike and won't sell the Steamer until I have another to ride.

TigerTrax

'98 Tramp Steamer
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'