News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Using heated grips outlet for 12V power

Started by gazoo, February 03, 2006, 06:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazoo

I've read a number of posts where people have hooked Powerlets, XM, GPS, etc. to the outlet behind the fairing that is for powering the heated grips.  I'm looking to do the same thing - plan on putting a Powerlet outlet on the dash of my '05.

My question is how are you connecting to this power source?  I'm trying to determine what will give me the most reliable connection, but leave me the flexibility of possibly adding the heated grips later.  Do you cut the plug off and splice the wires?  Leave the plug and use a Scotchlok connector?  Does it really make any difference which way I go?

Has anyone done as in this post http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=768 where someone had the male side of the connector with tail wires on it.  Are these connectors readily available?  I looked on the female connector and found no part number or manufacturer.  Does anyone have this info for the male side which comes with the heated grips?

iansoady

Quote from: gazooLeave the plug and use a Scotchlok connector?  Does it really make any difference which way I go?

I personally wouldn't use scotchloks anywhere, especially where there may be any mechanical load or moisture about. I'd always use solder (although an ex-colleague who was RAF artificer trained always said that crimped were better). Others may have different opinions.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Robbie

Quote from: "gazoo"Has anyone done as in this post http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=768

Yes

but before I got the connector I just used spade connectors and they worked fine

Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

I spliced into the +ve feed for the ignition behind the fairing and fitted an "accessory socket" in the LH side of the dash to power my GPSR. I used a "scotchlok" and it's been fine for 3 years now.