News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Need info/help on installing new grips

Started by georover1, February 05, 2006, 03:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

georover1

Ok here is a possible dumb question. I need new grips on my '99 . The old ones are getting thin. I have heated grips but can i just buy new grips like the ones you can get at any motorcycle shop? The reason i ask is because my local dealership (who are a bunch of     :asshat  IMO) qouted me $80+ install for grips.  I explained that i just need the outer rubber. Is it just me or is that a little steep for two pieces of rubber. What are the rest of you doing?

Thanks
Mmmmmm......Beer

\'99 Tiger,

apache

Sure $8.00 for grips and $75 per hour to labor over them. My 97 has the stockers slid over the grip heater strips. other than overall length cause some differ any of them otta be OK. I use rubbing alcohol to make things slippery for putting them on.

georover1

QuoteSure $8.00 for grips and $75 per hour to labor over them.

No. $80 for the grips plus install. They said it would be around $140 total. Anyway I'll just try and find the correct size at my local MS. Thanks for the rubbing alcohol tip.
Mmmmmm......Beer

\'99 Tiger,

TigerTrax

Go to Dual Star and buy the $30 grip heaters. ( not the ceramic resistor kind for gosh sakes )

DIY
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

apache

$80 for grips? yikes. wadda they think your ridin a Harley?

Mudhen

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Go to Dual Star and buy the $30 grip heaters. ( not the ceramic resistor kind for gosh sakes )

DIY

I agree.  For $30, they work awesome!

Add $8.00 to that for the grips and $5.00 for the grip cement (if you don't want to use hair spray or something else to stick them on).
\'96 Steamer

georover1

That is a good price but i already have factory heated grips. I just want the outer rubber grips that will work with my heated assembly. I dont want to cut mine off and then have a hard time finding an aftermarket grip with the right inner dia. I would like something like these http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi-bi ... ?E+scstore  Maybe i'm just going to have to cut the rubber and see whats under there and measure the diameter.
Mmmmmm......Beer

\'99 Tiger,

ArizonaKid

I had the same problem on my 02 BMW K1200RS and after trying to fabricate replacement rubber parts I finally gave up and bought OEM heated grips and took the big hit in the pocket book, but they work!  They're easy to change out yourself, so an option is to simply buy them from your dealer and install them yourself.  The electrical connections are easily accessible after removing the fairing and dismantling the grips themselves is an easy task with standard tools.   Go for it!
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger