News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ignition mount loose.

Started by Green Lantern, February 06, 2006, 05:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Lantern

I noticed the mounting bracket had come loose after a ride yesterday. I don't think anyone tried to steal the bike because there are no visible scratches in the surrounding area. What I think happened is the dealer forgot to screw home one of the screws because there is only one screw holding it in place and that's on the right side. The left side is vacant.

Can I remedy this myself or should I call the dealer and have it done under warranty? It's an 05. I've had it since August. This is the first "problem" I've had with the Tiger.

greg

Take it back to the dealer, I had one of the the n/s pannier bolts drop out on mine and even though it was a minor problem like yours I didn't want to risk anything even that minor affecting warranty! If you ring beforehand they should be able to fix it whilst you wait. I was there about five minutes.
2004 Girly.

NortonCharlie

I had my ignition come loose,  The bolts are breakaway bolts so you cannot remove them with a wrench.  I had one fall out, to get the other one loose enough to remove I simply ran it up to the rev limiter in 3rd gear a few times and was able to remove it with my fingers.  I replaced the bolts with stainless pan heads and a little locktite.  So if anyone wants to remove my ignition switch you can do it with an allen wrench.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

tigerpa

same thing happened on my 05 with 1500 miles on it.....did exactly what norton charlie says, and has been fine..

tigerpa

size   m6 x 20 pan head

Green Lantern

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"I had my ignition come loose,  The bolts are breakaway bolts so you cannot remove them with a wrench.  I had one fall out, to get the other one loose enough to remove I simply ran it up to the rev limiter in 3rd gear a few times and was able to remove it with my fingers.  I replaced the bolts with stainless pan heads and a little locktite.  So if anyone wants to remove my ignition switch you can do it with an allen wrench.

Jesus, you must be one hell of a rider! How much traffic was around when you did this? I can barely get my finders on the sucker. But doing it in third gear, rev'd to the max..with gloves on... :shock:   :smt119

NortonCharlie

QuoteJesus, you must be one hell of a rider! How much traffic was around when you did this? I can barely get my finders on the sucker. But doing it in third gear, rev'd to the max..with gloves on... :shock:   :smt119

No other vehicles within a couple miles.  I live in Iowa we actually have that option here.  BTW I waited till I was stopped before turning out the screw.  The third gear rev limiter thing was only my "SONIC SCREWDRIVER" to loosen it up.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

wonko the sane

NortonCharlie, the next time you visit the 20th Century, could you please pick up a brand new Black Lightning for me?  I finally have the money saved, and of course I'll pay a reasonable and customary delivery fee. :lol:

Oh, and watch your scarf doesn't get caught in your Tiger's chain!
The world is a book, and those who don\'t travel, read only a page.

St. Augustine

ArizonaKid

Actually this is a common problem and I believe there have been other threads on the subject. There actually is a little nipple on the fasteners that allows you to use a very small (don't know what size) socket to get it out.  I lost one and I removed the other one using this "small socket" method and, as others have said, replaced them with standard fasteners. That said, since yours is under warranty, I'd take it back to the dealer and let them do it.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

ArizonaKid

Actually this is a common problem and I believe there have been other threads on the subject. There actually is a little nipple on the fasteners that allows you to use a very small (don't know what size) socket to get it out.  I lost one and I removed the other one using this "small socket" method and, as others have said, replaced them with standard fasteners. That said, since yours is under warranty, I'd take it back to the dealer and let them do it.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

NortonCharlie

I just rebuilt a wrecked RS and the ignition switch mount broke on it.  On that I pulled the upper tripple tree, filed a couple of flats on the bolts then got them loose with pliers.  I did a custom JB weld job on the bracket, a little work with a file and re-assembled it with the original bolts.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Green Lantern

My dealer is up in Syracuse (Destiny Motorsports) so I can't swing by and have them look at it because it snowed a few feet the past few days. However, I talked to the parts manager, Ned, and he's going to mail the pan heads to me along with some blue-glue-type-stuff I'm supposed to coat the screws with.

I'm attempting the SONICSCREWDRIVER today on the BQE (Brooklyn Queens Expressway).

I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, the ignition mount came loose around 1900 miles.