News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer fuel petcock

Started by apache, February 24, 2006, 07:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apache

My 97`s fuel petcock is dripping, it never has completly shut off either. I see a screw in the bottom that I assume will allow me to slide out the guts. My idea is to replace the O ring(s) so it wont leak anymore. Anyone tear theirs apart? Im afraid to do it just yet without knowing for sure if this will destroy it, I need it for a ride next week.

Thanks for any advice here.

Mudhen

You'll have to source the 'o' rings on your own...you can't get them through Triumph.  I believe a new oem petcock is $100 but I swear I remember reading someones post that some sort of generic one fits.  Not sure where they got it, though.

I bought a used one off ebay.uk because my reserve won't work.  Need to replace it before summer, tired of only having a 150 mile range to empty...
\'96 Steamer

apache

There was or still is one on ebay for $80 or so. I actually have 2 on it cause the stocker wont shut off. I read of one members engine filling with fuel from bad petcock,needles and seats. sometimes mine sits for a week or so unused and I dont want the same issues.

Mudhen

Quote from: "apache"I read of one members engine filling with fuel from bad petcock,needles and seats. sometimes mine sits for a week or so unused and I dont want the same issues.

I've heard the same thing.  I rode my bike on Wednesday for the first time in a month (I've only shut the petcock off once in the past year)...she chugged and backfired out through the carb a few times before running smoothly - I may have been close to being in the same boat.

I need to remember to start shutting it off...trouble is then I have to remember to turn it on!  My first ride with it was pretty embarrasing as I pushed the bike across the intersection just down the road from my house... :roll:
\'96 Steamer

apache

I had the same thing happen to me the first time, felt pretty stupid. It seemed impossible to flood the engine out but after yanking the carbs last week I see the bowls are vented but not really having overflows like others, it would in deed allow the engine to flood out. Guess I`ll have to repair the petcock. Now if I can just remember which type O ring to use? buna, nitrile or neoprene. I have several O ring kits but not sure what there made of :roll:

skoron

Apache:

After dealing with a leaking petcock for two winters, I finally bit the bullet and bought a new one.  It seems I could never find an oring to seal for more then one year before leaking.  Worse was the winter three years ago when I went into the shed and found the bike crankcases filled with gas/oil.  

Haven't installed the new one yet, but hope no more problems.  Now to fix the #1 carb float (again).  Think it's still sticking.

Remember to drain the tank before you pull the petcock valve out!

Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

apache

Im probably gonna bite the bullet as well or hopefully make a adapter from a easily avaliable one from something else cheap. I just did my carbs and couldent belive how screwed up the float levels were, no wonder why it ran like s**t. put 112 mains in and a new air filter, clips and halfway and pulls up better now,also real smooth. I was supposed to have my exhaust done this weekend but had to go to Reno unexpectedly.

Post a report when its done. Might even try a 3 into 2 into 1 system, have to see what the professor says.

skoron

Apache:

Reviewed some old threads and realized I never updated.  Put the new petcock on and worked like a charm.  Starts better in the morning and no wet #1 carb anymore.  Money well spent, hope the oring lasts longer on this new one.  

Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

TigerTrax

Contact Baxter Cycle in Marne, Iowa .... he may have one!

Perhaps this will sink in some day!

FYI:

he has a BUILDING full of vintage Brit bike parts; About 80 vintage Brit bikes ASSEMBLED/RUNNING for sale; Usually a couple of Tigers (salvaged ) laying around to rob parts. If you find better service .... I'll eat my Tiger!

Now call kevin and quit screwing around!

BTW... take the fuel valve off and clean it; Clean the filter; Grease the O-Ring good.

Come down to Hiawasse, GA at the Ride-In and show off your fuel valve!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

apache

Man Id love to make the ride there with you guys. Theres just no way logistically work etc I can pull it off. post me some pics :smt010