News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

5-6k service 98 Tiger?

Started by CrashDBad, March 14, 2006, 04:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashDBad

Does anyone know what the 2nd service is after thr 500 mile?  Does this include valve check/adjust?  What does a triumph dealer charge?  I am looking at a steamer that has 5k miles and will be rding it home 400 miles before I can service it.

Thanks!

Rick

apache

According to most of the sources the valves should be checked at 500, 6K,  after that its every 12K. again this is the official word given from my local dealer which I have little faith in. Personally if you have documentation that shows the 500 mile check was done I wouldent hesitate to ride it a measly 400 miles home.  Oil changes are reccomended at 6K (I do mine at 4K +-)with Synthetic  Mobil 10/40 MX4T bike oil, wish i could fine 20/50. Yeah its pricy but I waste more At the local liquor store weekly killing myself with junk food or? so why not use good oil. Air filter is a PITA and should be good for 20K or so depending on conditions. Probably be good to flush the brake system out with fresh fluid. These things are reccomended by Triumph so its your call. personally I found much of it overkill which is typical per any owners manual. Buy it,ride home, check valves,change oil and filter,lube chain regulary and ride the hell out of her. If it helps I have a manual if you need any torque specs or? you can PM me or ask here.

Good luck, sounds like a find with low miles.

Foxy

This should explain everything you need to know:

http://www.triumphrat.net/downloads/T3.pdf

If the bike has been serviced properly it should already have had it's second service several years ago....

CrashDBad

Thanks guys.  Hope to be posting pics of my new rig this weekend.