News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A question for the wise

Started by T»n»r», March 21, 2006, 08:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T»n»r»

Hi all,

Tiger owners seem to report differing levels of vibration from Ïsilky smoothÓ to uncomfortable and even finger numbing. As age/mileage doesn't seem to be a factor perhaps this is a quality control issue, I don 't know, but my recently acquired '01 has vibes that blur the mirrors beyond usefulness at 5k rpm. I've read much about chain tension and even frame alignment, but this is simple engine imbalance. At standstill if I raise the revs it creeps in and seems to peak around 5k. A mate has an 855 with similar traits. My question is this:

Can anything be done to reduce these vibes? Ò I don't want to get involved in anything heavy like crank balancing, looking more toward simple measures. Does the injection system require periodic balancing at all (like std carbs) - perhaps a dealer tune up could help? I would love to hear from any owner who has managed to reduced vibration levels or knows a possible way.

Chris Canning

How many miles has it done??,when was it last serviced,is the chain slack when you sit on the bike?? how old are the plugs,most important of all have you been to a dealer and had a tune put in.

apache

My 97 has done it thru different levels it seems. As you mentioned the 5K mark seems right. I cant exactly say but like you mention the mirrors are useless at that point. Ive done carb jetting and float setting which immensly smoothed mine out around 4500rpm but theres still some. To some extent its never gonna all go away. I gotta wonder if its a trait of 3 cyls. I recall in the old days thats why 3s and 5s were never made due to vibe issues.

NortonCharlie

My dealer loaded the stock tune with my offroad pipe and it vibrated a bunch, had them reload the proper tune and all was good again.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

T»n»r»

Thanks for your input m8s Ò very interesting. I've decided that my next move would be to check with a dealer about what ignition map is currently recommended - I'm on the original '01. I've also read an interesting article on throttle body balance which if not spot-on can cause vibration. This should be checked at major service intervals with a Triumph recommended  'Sourian Indiana' digital gauge though most dealers probably use analogue. I plan to clean the air filter, put in a new set of plugs, then either get the dealer to balance them or do it myself with my home made manometers (don't laugh, worked a treat on my XTZ Ò just need an extra pipe!). One other thing I would like to do is add some fuel system cleaner to the fuel as I believe my bike had been parked up for a while and I would like to ensure that there's no gum in the supply lines. Does anybody know of any reason not to do this, it's recommended for fuel injection cars and I expect a Tiger will be no different Ò not going to attack any fuel pump seals or anything I trust?

Will let you know if the tune helps.

........cheers.