News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

problems starting etc...

Started by tigerbiker, March 27, 2006, 06:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerbiker

Looking for ideas on this one.  I have an 01 955i that is having some starting issues.  Bike is always on a battery tender.  I have checked the battery and as far as I can tell it is good.  I bought the bike 6 months ago and the seller (a friend) changed the battery before the sale.  

After sitting the bike will take a while to start.  Turns over but it is as though the battery is not charged.  

After going for a long ride (2-3 hours) I hook up the battery tender and it starts charging as though the battery is below 80%.  

At this point it looks like two problems.  I would think it is the starter for the starting problem and the alternator for the charging part after a long ride.  Seems like a 2 hour ride should charge up the battery all the way.

All I am running at this point is fog lights and triumph heated grips.

Any ideas????  I really do not want to pay the shop the hourly rate until I have done all I can do....  that time might be now..

davensocal

You probably need to put a meter on the battery..

Please check this thread from our moderator, lots of good stuff in there..

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/vie ... ht=battery

apache

Get a multi meter and check the battery voltage after its fully charged on the tender. My 97`s is typically at 13.1 or so. It will drop to the normal 12.7 + - after it sits a bit. Running the bike should show up to 13.8 or so. See if the battery drops way down after a ride and then sitting for a few days. This might indicate a parasitic drain somehow, short or? depending on what accessories your running (lights) might be to much.

Quote from: tigerbikerAfter going for a long ride (2-3 hours) I hook up the battery tender and it starts charging as though the battery is below 80%.  

QuoteMy Optimate always shows "charging" after a run. It comes up to full charge after a couple of hours. I don't have any battery or starting problems.

My bike always starts after a long lay-off. So....one of your problems is not the battery.

Sorry, but I cannot help with the slow to start problem.

NortonCharlie

DOn't know about the charging, but I thought my battery was getting weak and replaced it.  Didn't help the syptoms when cranking it sounded like it labored on compression and didn't spin evenly when cold, warm it was OK.  It was getting time for a valve adjustment and when checked several intake valves had negative clearance when cold.  After adjusting the valves the cranking sounded normal again cold.  My theory is that when you crank whenever you have a piston coming up on compression another cylinder in on its power stroke.  The compression in that cylinder helps turn the motor over helping to push the cylinder on the compression stroke.  Anyway it was the only thing I could come up with to explain the symptoms and having them go away after a valve adjustment.

BTW valve clearances get looser on these motors when they warm up.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando