News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lowering my 05

Started by Hayes, April 05, 2006, 04:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayes

Just got a new 05 tiger. I am 5'9" and don't think the seat height will be an issue, but if it is, what is the down side on lowering the bike? I have to think that there would be a compromise in the handling. Spring is just springing up here in the north so I don't have many miles on it yet. Any opinions ?

bretzg

I lowered my 2005 with the WIlbers rear shock by 1.5 inches and then the local Triumph dealer pulled the front forks up through the triple tree to get the ride height and weight distribution perfect. The cat rides so much nicer and with my feet flat on the ground, I love it. I alos had a local guy cut an inch and a half out of the side stand so she sits nice. I think the bike handles much better and the ride and steering are great. Klaus at Wilbers is great to work with and asks all the right questions so the shock comes set up for you. I highly recommend making the bike fit you.
gary b

ArizonaKid

Since the 05's have a different swing arm and chain adjusting mechanism, lowering the rear end involves a different shock. Lowering a pre 05 Tiger simply involved rotating the concentric chain adjusters so the axle was above the center line.  The front remains the same and as as stated all you need to do is loosen the triple clamps and slide the fort tubes up to whatever position matches the adjustment you make at the ass end.  The side stand and (if equipped) the center stand will require some cutting and welding as well.  The down side of all this, of course, will the corresponding loss of ground clearance.  This may or may not be a concern, depending on your intended use.  

Don't forget that the Tiger's seat is adjustable (a little), so if you find it too tall for your liking, be sure you have the seat on it's lowests position before you start investing big $ in suspenstion parts and fiddling with the front end.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger