News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

winter riding

Started by phragment, April 06, 2006, 07:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phragment

Just got an 02 Tiger on Monday. It's mint and I wish to keep it that way.

However I will be riding to work year round (UK winters) and wonder if any of you guys do. If so what do you do to stop your bikes from being consumed by corrosion?

Sofalofa2005

Hi phrag,

I do 50 miles a day 5 days a week (and ride at weekends) all year round. Have had my 05 bike since October, so far done 9,000 miles on it AND it lives outdoors. Still in great condidtion.

Am not a religious cleaner, but every Saturday (even if it's raining) I go to the local jetwash, spray it top to bottom with a decent cleaner (I use the Hein Gericke stuff - £7.99 for 5 litres, lasts ages), leave it 10 minutes to soak in then and give it a good spray (stay away from wheel bearings, head bearings and electrics etc), comes up like new.

When I get back home, I spray exposed metal with Scottoiler F365 anti-corrosion spray and use copper grease on the bits that have discoloured a bit, usually wheel nuts, cable fastners, sidestand bolts etc. That's the only cleaning I do.

Doesn't take long and the bike still looks great. Good luck

Russ

greg

F365 is the best in my experience, just spray it on everything (except brakes!) and wash it when you feel like it, it really does do what it says on the tin.
2004 Girly.

Foxy

You've got a while before you have to worry about it.

My 1999 Tiger gets used year round, 42 plus miles a day, four to seven days a week plus whatever spare time riding I'm allowed to fit in. It has picked up a few lightly rusted screw heads and there is a little light corrosion that pops up under the seat where the seats touch and rub the subframe. The only component to really suffer has been the rims - once upon a time they were shiny, but now they are a little pitted. Apart from the RNS which has been protected by the Scottoiler  :D

And all it gets is a quick clean off with a hose and a bucket of warm water every couple of months with regular coatings of FS365 over the wetter months. Although I gather ACF50 is better so I'm planning on switching when I run out of FS365.

phragment

Cheers folks - just given it a doing over with the Hein Gericke soap and the Scottoiler and I'm sitting pretty.

BTW what's the exhaust made of? Stainless? Is the Scottoiler enough to protect that adequately?

Foxy

Exhaust is stainless. If it isn't I'll be in trouble when I do get around to cleaning in.

But I do have a spare set in the garage  :D

tyrebyter

Ride mine daily year-round. Corrosion can be halted by living 1000 miles from the ocean where there is an average of 8 inches of precipitation a year. You don't even need paint here.
\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple

phragment

I'll console myself with the delusion that going through the cold and rain for 5 months (count 'em) makes me really appreciate the bit of pallid sunshine that occasionally makes a appearance in July and eases out my creaking joints.

Sofalofa2005

ah but winter has its benefits phrag. If you are as bad as me at getting up in the morning, that 40 minutes ride to work in the cold doesn't half wake you up!