News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shifting problems

Started by 3Rider, April 10, 2006, 06:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3Rider

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site, learned a lot from you before buying it, and am now looking for advice. This weekend, I picked up my ligthning yellow '99. I've put 1,100 km on it it the last two days. So far, I love it, with one serious exception:

Getting more confident yesterday, I started having trouble up-shifting to 3rd gear when accelerating hard. More than once, 3rd refused to engage, leaving me either bumping up against redline with someone's SUV on my tail or foolishly sliding the clutch in and out trying to get it to click in. At first it happened only under heavy throttle over 6000 rpm, then it started happening under heavy throttle at lower revs. I find the gearbox clunky in all gears at all speeds but have no trouble engaging other gears.

I'm the bike's 3rd owner, it now has 13,000 km on it, and looks like it never left the showroom but I don't have any maintenance records to show what work has been done. I generally trust the fellow I bought it from.

Any guesses as to what the problem may be?

- Rob
...fearful symmetri