News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

front brake weirdness

Started by phragment, April 13, 2006, 11:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phragment

When I brake lightly at low speed, just using the front, the braking effect 'pulses'. That's the only way to describe it. I've looked at the discs and they don't appear to be warped but that is what I imagine it would feel like if they were.

Any ideas?????????????

obxtiger

just do a search on warped rotors. lots of us have replaced rotors. i'm on my third set in one year. 18000 miles.
beware world I\'ve now got a TIGER on the loose.

martingilly

Mine turned out to be the wheel was not manufactured true. The dealership replaced the wheel,rotors and pads. If you have had more than one set of rotors then it's probably the wheel and not the rotor that is the problem.

Good luck

obxtiger

my shop checked the trueness of the rim and rotors the last time. the rotors also miced the same all around. they seem to think triumph had a bad batch of rotors with soft spots. about 5000 miles on the last change no  pulsing so far.
beware world I\'ve now got a TIGER on the loose.

Brother Number One

Sounds like a good excuse to uprate the brakes.  Let's face it, they're rubbish.

Anyone found/tried wavy discs?  Are they any good?  Will we still be talking about them this time next year?

:idea:
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

NortonCharlie

EBC makes floating disk conversion kits for the Tiger front end.  Disks are $200.00 each.  My disks are worn out and would like to try them but I have a set of new ones (hopefully straight) that I got off ebay a couple years ago.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

tyrebyter

Just got the EBC floaters this week. Will report on their effectiveness when I actually get them installed. I can tell you they have aluminum carriers and weigh nothing compared to stock. I've got high hopes.
\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple

Brother Number One

Quote from: "tyrebyter"Just got the EBC floaters this week. Will report on their effectiveness when I actually get them installed. I can tell you they have aluminum carriers and weigh nothing compared to stock. I've got high hopes.

This for an older bike  :?:

My 04 has no room for a carrier.
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

NortonCharlie

I;m trying to get a pair of floeting rotors, but my dealer is having problems finding them, it seems EBC has one left one.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

tyrebyter

My dealer simply ordered them from Parts Unlimited. No problem. They fit Tigers up through '04 and a number of other models as well (Bonnies and such). Not that it matters much, but they are from the Mother Country: Made in England. With the Renthal sprockets and handlebars, my Tiger is now more British than when it was new. Should it leak now?
\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple

phragment

Does the warping cause any problems beyond the flutter? That is, is it going to get worse and eventually  affect braking performance?

Brother Number One

Quote from: "phragment"Does the warping cause any problems beyond the flutter? That is, is it going to get worse and eventually  affect braking performance?

When my Daytona floater disc warped, fitted to my Trophy12, ages ago, me dad said it would not suddenly fail spectacularly.  Not sure he knows what he's talking about, though.  :?

NortonCharlie

Tyrebyter,

I have to wait till the middle of June for mine.  You must have got the last one for the right hand side.  What pads did you use?  I have the EBC HH pads ordered.  I tried a couple sets of the organics but went back to the original Triumph pads.  I guess with the new EBC disks I'll go with the more aggressive EBC pads.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

tyrebyter

\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple