News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

help me, groovy triumph dudes!

Started by el gueche, April 13, 2006, 11:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eviltwin

Bought the '95 tiger for 2-up touring (at least thats what I told her  :twisted: ) but there is a comfort problem. The missus demanded a back-rest of some sort, so I got the GIVI top-case, with a mounting plate  that bolts to the existing luggage rack. Said rack is bolted to the sub-frame.  Here lies the problem. Any vibration that passes through the frame is passed up to the top-case. These vibrations, or constant little bumps can't be felt from the seat, but with the top-case sitting on such a long arm (the rack sits way back on the bike) they are amplified. At first I thought the woman is complaining because she was spoiled from a recent '05 goldwing ride, but then I rode along at speed, with my left hand on the topcase, and it was kicking and bumping to the point of bruising your back. I don't have a GIVI "back-pad" for the case, but those that the dealer showed me, where made of some sort of hard plastic/rubber. So I don't think they would help at all.

Has anyone experienced this before, and if so, what can be done?

I tried to soften the shock to the point where the bike is floating like a cadillac down the road, but the road surface still shows up as vibration in the top-case....

What to do? :?
Es ist nicht deine Schuld dass die Welt ist wie sie ist, es waer\' nur deine Schuld wenn sie so bleibt!

Jim S

Hi folks, for what it's worth, I've just returned from a 400 odd mile run over the West of Scotland with my 04 Tiger. Until three weeks ago I previously owned an 01 Honda Varadero 996, I find the Tiger more comfortable to drive long distance than the Honda, I always think the Triumph seat's hard, but it doesn't seem to get any worse, unfortunately the wife said the pillion is not as good as the Varadero. Her feet are restricted in movement by the panniers and her bum and thighs get numb after a mere 30 miles? She went over 200 miles on the Honda with no complaints and 12 yrs and tens of thousands of miles of touring on Africa Twins she's no newcomer to pillion riding!

I'll persevere with the Tiger for a while though, I'm getting to enjoy the bike and with the race can fitted I believe it's the loveliest sounding bike I've ever owned. I'm off to Italy for the Stella Alpina in July so I'll do a write up of how we get on, should be a 2000 mile plus trip over ten days so I'll have a better opinion by then.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Brother Number One

Quote from: "eviltwin"Has anyone experienced this before, and if so, what can be done?

I tried to soften the shock to the point where the bike is floating like a cadillac down the road, but the road surface still shows up as vibration in the top-case....

What to do? :?

:idea:

Versuchen mit ein reifon... oh sod it... you could try using a cut-up inner tube to rubber mount the whole thing wherever possible.  Good luck.
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger