News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger- one of my two choices

Started by Flyer, April 21, 2006, 03:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

That black Triumph is looking very tempting.  I hear that my local dealer is getting a blue and a silver one next week so I can go sit on one or even demo one.  I am seriously considering going in and putting a deposit down on one.  

My ONLY remaining question is- is there any way to eventually firm up the front fork.  There isn't much I can find on that and for example, Ohlins doesn't make a spring kit for it.  Any ideas on this.  Man, I am getting excited already.  If my local dealer had one in stock that I could check out, I woud probably put down a deposit and have them order the black one today :D

ghostbiker955i

theres a few spring kits if changing to thicker oil dont work. but honestly your best riding it for a while first. it may take a little getting used to but you may find you like the forks.

I doubt i will change mine unless i need to replace seals or something.

yet on my XJR and a few other bikes i have riped out the old springs stright away as i felt they needed it.
If it aint broke, I aint touched it! .........Yet!

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Flyer"My ONLY remaining question is- is there any way to eventually firm up the front fork.  There isn't much I can find on that and for example, Ohlins doesn't make a spring kit for it.

Are you gong to be doing competitive racing and jumping in a super-heavy weight enduro class?

:shock:  :lol:

I have to say that a softer front end is better than a harsh one for everyday riding.  I have never over ridden the Tigers stock setup as it is.  It is my opinion that most bikes are far more capable than most riders.  I'll bet you will be more than satisfied with the overall package.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Flyer

I'll be inclined to agree.  It's just that a really soft front end doesn't provide much confidence while exiting corners but I need to ride the Tiger for a while.  I'll probably get used to and like the stock setup.  Coming from sportbikes makes me think this way on any bike :lol:

Sasquatch

Everybody has great points here but you are also missing one point.

What bikes makes you want to ride it and never stop?  Answer that question and you have your choice.  Get a good demo ride on both bikes.  Sit back and really look at the bikes.  What one "Calls" you?  

As far as reliablity is concerned, I wouldn't worry about just about any bike produced today, even Harley.  Everybody builds pretty darn solid bikes.  Sure, isolated problems happens with every bike brand, but we just need to deal with those when they come up.

Jim S

My tuppence worth, I've just bought an 04 Tiger, replacing my Varadero, before that Africa Twins, I feel the Tiger harder sprung than the Hondas, a lot smoother, and delivers its power higher up the revs. The Tiger's a lovely bike, I've covered around 500 miles now and enjoy the bike immensely, my only grumble is the wind noise. I've tried three different screens now and can't improve the wind noise. I thought my Africa's were noisy but not compared to the Tiger.

I think the Tiger is a well finished bike and has beautiful power delivery, I don't find mine buzzy or vibrant, probably the smoothest bike I've had in decades, on a par with the Hondas? Time will tell. Better than the Suzuki? I believe so. So far I've manufactured a set of crash bars, modified a Givi screen to fit and I've a race can coming this week. I'll continue with the Triumph and let everyone know how I get on living with it. I average 15,000 miles a year.

I haven't managed to touch the pegs down yet, seems like a long way down? Speedo has read 130mph, not sure how much more to go? Had to adjust chain this week, too much wheelies? Only 9000 miles on clock but the chain seems well gone. Original Tourances are almost done as well.

I'll keep you all updated.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

squarepeg

What you didn't tell us, Flyer, is what you plan on doing with your new bike.

I just spent a full day on the Tiger yesterday.  Four freeway hours getting to my destination, where I spent the following three hours on everything from hard-pack dirt roads to rutted 4WD trails to slogging through cow dung.

The freeway hours were quite comfortable. The off-pavement hours a real blast!

Has anybody actually SEEN a 'strom in dirt conditions?
a squarepeg in sj

\'05 Triumph 955i Tiger

\'05 Honda VT750  Shadow Aero

blacktiger

I am the new owner of a Tiger and can't recommend it enough.  I just completed a 1,000 mile trip and can't tell for sure what they are talking about with the annoying buzz.  It was a gem.

I have added a taller and wider windscreen from C. Baileys because I am 6'3" and am glad I did.  

I also looked at the V-Strom but frankly found that even though there are more dealers, I liked the service I found at the one area Triumph dealer better.  The Suzuki dealership in my area didn't seem particularly interested in me or  the V-Strom.  The Triumph dealer was first class and loved talking about their machines.

The Tiger is a great bike and simply put, has the highest "fun factor" of any bike I've owned or been around.  Pax.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Quote from: "Flyer"It's just that a really soft front end doesn't provide much confidence while exiting corners

Can't feel the front forks when the wheels in the air  :lol:

Seriously though, the latest forks have been firmed up already. The pre 2000 models were, apparently, very soft. My '02 has been fine if slightly under damped which I cured with thicker oil. The '05 > models have been stiffened again with different settings as stock front and rear.

So as has been suggested, try it for a while and see how it goes.

As for reliability. Mines done 33500 miles and I haven't had to touch it apart from adjusting the chain. And, with a scottoiler fitted, that will last forever. Well, almost. :roll: