News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger- one of my two choices

Started by Flyer, April 21, 2006, 03:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

Hi everyone!  I'm new here (just registered today) since I just found this site while researching Tigers.  I am looking to buy another bike after a two-year hiatus and am considering the Tiger (the other is the V-Strom).  I like the looks of the Tiger better but it is around $2K more expensive aroudn here.  Anyway, money is not the only factor but I have read of a couple of things that concern me a bit about the Tiger.  First, a test on the 2006 mentions a footpeg buzz or vibration that starts around 80 mph and gets annoying on long rides. They mentioned thicker rubber on footpegs but is there an aftermarket peg like this or have you guys even noticed this problem while freeway cruising?

The other things relates to reliabiltiy issues but that may be average for all bikes as long my my Triumph dealer is a trooper, I should be in good shape.   There is only one dealer around here so that is a bit of a concern.  Additionally, with so few dealers, I'd hate to get stuck on a trip with no nearby dealer to fix the bike.

How is the highway comfort  (and wind cbuffeting) on the Tiger- getting to nice places is a big part of what I will be doing.  

Does Ohlins make a fork for the Tiger?

That's pretty much it.  The Suzuki V-Strom may have its own problems (wind buffeting) but there is a huge network of dealers all over the country.  My buddies say that is reason enough to go that way but I do love the look and exclusivity of the Tiger.  The Strom looks a bit bland to me.

Well, any feedback would be much appreciated.  Speed safe out there!

cbxtc6

Well,  you're going to get some biased opinions here!  I have an '03 Tiger, and don't know about the buzzy pegs at 80mph?  I do a lot of long disntance riding, and it's a great platform for that type riding, for sure.  I do have the larger windscreen, which stopped any buffetting.  With a throttlemeister, Corbin seat, and heated grips, the thing is my Goldwing.  It is that comfortable.  Take the bags off, and hit the gravel roads!  I've heard good things about the 'Strom too, so my advice would to RIDE them both before purchasing.  If money IS a factor, there are plenty of used TIgers out there.  There was a nice '05 on Ebay sold for $6500.  

Take a test ride on both.

Flyer

Excellent points!  As a matter of fact, I am looking for and expecting slight bias here.   There are great reasons you guys ride Tigers.  I have not posted any messages on any V-Strom forums because I have ridden jap bikes forever and have no reliability or dealer network concerns as such.  I prefer the Tiger so I was seeking information to help with my decision.  I hope I don't sound confusing.

The reliability factor is important because of so few Triumph dealers around.  If I get stuck in the mountain of Colorado or the twisties in Arkansas, I think a dealer network would make a difference.

Sorry, I may be over-analyzing this.  Don't let my befuddled brain get in the way of your impressions and ideas.

TRKTEK

Worry not.... The Tiger defines smoothness.....

This from a guy who's last bike was a single and the one before that was a (ahem) Harley :wink:
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Flyer

Oh, One last bit of info.  As far as the cost goes, the local dealer will not budge on price (it's a monopoly around here) and it is full price at $10,499.  I can get the V for around $8K.

That's a decent price difference but it doesn't make a huge difference.  It's the Triumph dealer that worries me with their cocky attitude.  It makes me wonder how helpful they will be in the future.  That's why the opinions of current Tiger owners are so important to me.

¥TigerTamer?

If there are any reliability issues - I think they would be the isolated cases.  I'm on my 3rd Triumph.  I bought the Tiger specifically for the 955i powerplant.  This motor ROCKS!!.  This is the most fun bike I have owned/ridden.  Lots of accessories available to 'farkle it up' the way you want.  Wife and I love it for long distance riding and backcountry exploring.

OH - and if you do ever break down in the Colorado mountains - just call me.  :wink:

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i

2004 Triumph Daytona 955i SE (sold)

1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 (RIP)

¥TigerTamer?

Quote from: "Flyer"Oh, One last bit of info.  As far as the cost goes, the local dealer will not budge on price (it's a monopoly around here) and it is full price at $10,499.  I can get the V for around $8K.

That's a decent price difference but it doesn't make a huge difference.  It's the Triumph dealer that worries me with their cocky attitude.  It makes me wonder how helpful they will be in the future.  That's why the opinions of current Tiger owners are so important to me.

This may be in part due to the fact that this is the last year for the Tiger as we know it.  Starting in 2007 the Tiger is going to be less of an adventure/long distance tourer and more of a sporty super-motard bike.  There has been a recent increase in demand for Tigers.  

Don't get hung up on the sales guy's attitude.  go meet the service folks and see what they are like.

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i

2004 Triumph Daytona 955i SE (sold)

1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 (RIP)

Flyer

I'm sure some of you have ridden the DL1000/V-Strom.  When it comes to motor characteristics, is one smoother that the other or revvier maybe?  Does one have more low-down torque?  

Also, what can be done about the Tiger's relatively soft fork- just change springs and put a heavier oil?  Who makes stiffer springs?

speedysheep

Quote from: "Flyer"I'm sure some of you have ridden the DL1000/V-Strom.  When it comes to motor characteristics, is one smoother that the other or revvier maybe?  Does one have more low-down torque?  ?

My brother has a V-Strom, and I've put a few miles on it.  The Strom has a revvier motor than the Tiger.  It makes a little more power at high RPM, and feels a little more lively than the Tiger from 6k to redline.  His is an '02 (the first year) and it seems to have some fuel injection issues.  It really doesn't like to run below 4k in the upper gears.  You can lug the Tiger down to almost idle speed without complaint.

The Tiger motor is smoother, a little less powerful (about 5HP from the dyno charts I've seen), but much easier to ride at low rpm.  It has the most seemless fuel injection of any bike I've ever ridden.

They're both great bikes IMHO.
Where am I to go, now that I\'ve gone too far?

Humungus

Suzukie's hava huge problem with rust.

I had a Dl650 v-strom and in 1.5 jears it had rust all over the place. the tank rusts and the subframe also.

please check out the dutch V-strom forum

http://vstrom.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t= ... highlight=

greetings from The Netherlands
Follow The Reaper.....Live Young, Die Free.

Bike: Triumph Tiger 900i.

ghostbiker955i

Well on a personal note i have not had my tiger long, just under a month. the 2 it came down to for me was the dl1000 storm and the tiger. the tiger was a MUCH smoother ride to me and just felt like it fitted me. the storm did have more power with front comming up at a sniff of throtle in first and easy up in 2nd on power. where as the tiger i can just use the torque and make great progress with little effort.

As a long term bike that i use daily it was no choice, tiger wins hands down

but if i wanted a sunny day biker that never saw a cloud and got thrashed everywhere then it would have been the DL
If it aint broke, I aint touched it! .........Yet!

Flyer

This is excellent information and thanks for that link (though I must admit I had a little trouble reading since it wasn't in English :D ).  I need to go sit on one as soon as a new one arrives at my dealership- in a week or so.  The new ones coming in are blue and silver but I will order the black one since that is my favorite.

I assume it's a good city commuter even though it is a tall and slightly top heavy bike like the GS.  However, the fun should start on long trips.  It will be nice to make a trip and end up meeting other Tiger riders.

Patrick the Scot

1) Last time I checked the Suzuki came without panniers.  So if you want to travel with hard bags, poof, there goes some of your $ savings.

2) Yes, the bike does buzz here and there, and so does the DL. If you want total comfort...buy a Goldwing or K1200LT, or a 740il.

3) Yes, Suzuki bikes are made in Japan, but that does not mean that they are the most reliable machines ever built. Even Honda has major reliablity issues on some models and specific designs. I do know that certain years of the DL 1000 had freakin major fuel injection mapping problems. I mean like somebody from Tokoyo Tech really effed-up the software.  

Don't worry about not having a big Triumph dealer service network because you aren't going to need it.  The 955i engine is bad-ace. The Tiger is really a simple machine that doesn't break very often.

BTW-This whole concept that "Japanese is more reliable" is a myth in 2006.  In manufacturing, Japan, USA, and EU are all using the same technology to build machines, so they are more or less about on the same page in terms of materials reliablity.  The difference comes in design flaw. Ask any GS rider about rear-wheel bearing failure.  Bad design.

4) The DL is less refined and feels kind of cheap in comparison to the Triumph.

5) The TRIUMPH gets more looks.  You can be in a crowd of a hundred bikes and the Tiger is the one that everyone checks out.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

toddtruby

Quote from: "Flyer"Oh, One last bit of info.  As far as the cost goes, the local dealer will not budge on price (it's a monopoly around here) and it is full price at $10,499.  I can get the V for around $8K.

Dont forget to factor in the hard bags and extra year warranty when comparing apples to apples on price.

Humungus

Quote from: "Flyer"This is excellent information and thanks for that link (though I must admit I had a little trouble reading since it wasn't in English :D ).

just look at the pitures.....they say more than words :wink:
Follow The Reaper.....Live Young, Die Free.

Bike: Triumph Tiger 900i.