News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

breather seal on 955

Started by NortonCharlie, April 21, 2006, 09:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonCharlie

I have had to replace the seal in the alternator cover that seals the end of the counterbalance shaft/breather on my Tiger, I also have to replace the cracked alternator cover on my RS (crashed bike I fixed) The parts list shows a spacer under the seal and neither of my bikes had it installed. As is it looks like the seal rides about 4mm from the end of the shaft, obviously the seal would ride a little deeper on the shaft with the spacer installed. The spacer was only a couple bucks so I ordered it along with the cover seal and gasket. Should I install it?

I have had trouble sucking a little oil into the airbox on the Tiger and there was a little oil collected behind the seal in the breather area on the RS when I pulled the cover. Any advise on this? anyone else have trouble pulling oil into the airbox? I have seen threads on this problem with the older 955 motors, but not much on the newer ones.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

AFAIK, the probs with the older engine occurred when the bike fell onto its side still running.

The newer 955i engine cured this BUT, apparently, some had the oil seal fitted the wrong way round which meant the oil pissed past the seal and into the intake system.

Otherwise it should all be dry in the breater tube. Mine was after I crashed and the engine was running for 15 seconds or so on its LH side.

Hope I got all that right!  :?

EvilBetty

Is there a TSB for this breather seal?

How hard is this seal to change out?  I'm looking at an 05 that has this very problem.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

EvilBetty

I just bought a 2005 955i today that seems to have this very problem.  The seller gave me the gasket and seal but I don't know where to start.  Should I let the dealer handle this one?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD