News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

KTM Test Ride - Finally

Started by Patrick the Scot, June 28, 2006, 05:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick the Scot

I stopped at the KTM dealer here in Lubbock today.  I was offered a demo KTM 950 Adventure for the day.  Well, it wasn't any old off-the-floor Adventure. It was a used trade-in bike that was race-prepped for the Baja 1000.  The previous owner actually raced it the last two years in the Baja.  So, Tony says "Do you have you helmet? Take it for the day"  

I told him I will take a rain check.  I will post my thoughts and opinions on it in comparison to El Tigre as I get them.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

geoff

I just finished reading an item on the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure and the KTM 990 Adventure in the July 2006 issue of Two Wheels ( www.twowheels.com.au ).

They say that the older 950 is better than the 990 if these things are important to you..

* Fuel range

* You need to do lots of tightwork where a smooth bottom end is important (the 990 has injection and poor bottom end)

* If you like plush suspension

* Want to pay less (older model can be picked up cheap)

In their conclusion about these bikes they say..

* The 1200 is less exhilarating, but more rounded (than the 990).

* The KTM is the hot missile, while the BMW 1200 is the essential distance tourer (my interpretation is the BMW is a bit boring).

But I think the big point was at the end of the article..

The KTM price is A$21,495 and the BMW A$24,000.

The list price of a Tiger (all Australian Dollars)  is A$15,900 and IMO the KTM and the BMW are just not good value for money by comparison. I guess that is why I bought a Tiger!   :lol:

Brother Number One

I say get the Tiger and spend the balance on suspension, can, brakes, etc.  You'd still have enough left over for a party. :D
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

JRO

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"I stopped at the KTM dealer here in Lubbock today.  I was offered a demo KTM 950 Adventure for the day.  Well, it wasn't any old off-the-floor Adventure. It was a used trade-in bike that was race-prepped for the Baja 1000.  The previous owner actually raced it the last two years in the Baja.  So, Tony says "Do you have you helmet? Take it for the day"  

I told him I will take a rain check.  I will post my thoughts and opinions on it in comparison to El Tigre as I get them.

Why didn't you just wait until after you'd rode the KTM, before posting about it? These cliff-hanger tactics are too much; the suspense is just plain murder.
JRO

2006 Tiger

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "JRO"These cliff-hanger tactics are too much; the suspense is just plain murder.

Patience, Luke, patience.

Kind of cheap, huh? Putting up a post about a future post...? Damn, I should go into the TV business.  All TV is is hype about its' stupid future.  I, however, aim to deliver a real world ride report/comparo about a bike that I wanted to buy back in '04, before I bought El Tigre.  The main reason I went Triumph was value.  $4000 less than the comparably equiped KTM, (not mention the whole heritage thing). Maybe the Euro/Pound/Dollar relationship had something to do with the price difference.

I am going to pick up the Baja Adventure on Friday.  I will take it to work and have it all day.  Work is my 20 acre construction site.  I am the superintendent, so I will use it to get around the site to check on the progress, and maybe pull some wheelie in the doing so.  I will hit city traffic, interstate, and dirt roads.  

Tune in this Weekend!
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

¥TigerTamer?

Monetary issues aside.  In my opinion the Tiger positions directly between the GS and KTM.  The GS is probably the best road touring bike, the KTM is by far the best off-road bike and the Tiger is better in the dirt than the GS and better on the road than the KTM.

I have a riding buddy here who has both a 2004 BMW 1150GS and a 2006 KTM 950 Adventure.  The biggest advantage he has over me when we are riding forest roads and trails, is the front suspension.  He can launch the KTM off the waterbars and not bottom out when he lands. If I launch the Tiger off the waterbars, it bottoms out horribly upon landing.  The KTM also has much more ground clearance and carries its weight lower on the frame, so manuevering in tight boulder fields and such is easier on the KTM.

I still believe that if you want one bike that does it all - the Tiger is the best bet.......especially for the money.

This is all just my opinion of course and what do I know.  :)

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i

2004 Triumph Daytona 955i SE (sold)

1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 (RIP)

Brother Number One

I just had a weekend camping in St Davids, Wales (part of England), with a mate on his brand new V-Strom GT.  The Tiger was the best bike, by his admission, on just about every count.  The Tiger was faster, handled better (he had a wobble due to overloading) and used 16l of fuel where the Suz used 18.  The Suz looks like a parts bin by comparison.  :D
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Patrick the Scot

Sorry for the delay!  

I finally got around to the test ride on the monster KTM 950 Adventure. I took it out on the highway, city streets, and my dirt construciton site. I was thoroughly impressed with it's off-road capabilities.  It was light and flickable in the dirt.  The center-of gravity was very low in the frame and it felt narrow between my knees in  the stand-up dirt-riding postion.  When I unloaded the throttle on that big twin it accelerated like a winged sprint car. The low end torque in the dirt was astounding.  If I had to do the Baja 1000, as this machine has done twice, I would definitely agree to it on a KTM 950.  

On the paved surfaces it was a totally different feeling.  The bloody thing was as rough riding as a lumber wagon.  I could feel every crease in the pavement. Not smooth at all, not like the Tiger.  It was loud and the vibration of the big twin was completely shocking.  No way could I enjoy the wide open spaces on the way to the mountains with that kind of vibration.  The seat was crap and the wind noise and protection over the front a joke.  

The thing did handle very well on the pavement through.  It is just not much of a road bike.  It is for sure a monster dirt bike. If dirt and long-haul off-roading is your thing, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with this machine.  If you do a lot of highway miles like I do, the Tiger is far and away a superior choice.

TRKTEK

Did anyone mention the maintenance requirements of the KTM?

Nothing is to be done by the owner, plus only specifically qualified KTM dealers can do even the most simple maintenance......I would look carefully into this before considering purchasing one.

I guess I just appreciate simplicity......

Steve
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith

JRO

Okay, so I waited for the test-ride report.  I even waited before reposting to the test-ride report.  I'm still waiting, on what you intend to do with a KTM?

If you need a real dirt-bike, why not buy a KLR 650, or something like that, because they're cheap.  Or maybe a DR200?  You can tag them both, and ride them to wherever it is that you need a real dirt bike.  You could even get a pure off-road dirt bike, probably carry it on the back of your Tiger, and then ride to wherever it is that you need a real dirt bike, unload it, and take off.

Sheesh... You could buy an old Willys, and use that, instead of a dirt bike.  Or, you could buy a helicopter, and FLY over where it is that you need to use a dirt bike.  

At least, that way... You wouldn't get dirty.
JRO

2006 Tiger

Mudhen

Quote from: "¥TigerTamer™"If I launch the Tiger off the waterbars, it bottoms out horribly upon landing.

I got my Steamers suspension rebuilt by Aftershocks in CA...what a difference off road.  The revalved forks are simply amazing...I think I paid $250 for the revalve, modified springs to suit my weight, and new seals, oil, etc. on the front.  I also had them do the same to the rear stocker...

Something to look into if you're jumping waterbars a lot   :)
\'96 Steamer

Advwannabe

Preach it Mudhen!

The $4K Australian price difference would buy an Ohlins shock, a fork revalve, crashbars and a Staintune can. The Tiger would still be a better road bike too. Might be a bit tough to lose 20kg off her though......

I wonder if any of the KTM guys have spent money making their 950s smoother and better road bikes?
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Advwannabe"I wonder if any of the KTM guys have spent money making their 950s smoother and better road bikes?

Trust me, no amount of aftermarket efforts are going to change that engine vibration. I think it would be like trying to smooth out a HD v-twin. The damn things are, by engine design architecture, NOT SMOOTH. The KTM is not as rudely vibratory as an old Sportster...but hey, that is not much of a compliment.  

As time and miles pass on by I have more and more respect for the  Triple.  Beautiful thing, it is.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "JRO"... what you intend to do with a KTM?

If you need a real dirt-bike, why not buy a KLR 650, or something like that, because they're cheap.  Or maybe a DR200?  You can tag them both, and ride them to wherever it is that you need a real dirt bike.

Sheesh... You could buy an old Willys, and use that, instead of a dirt bike.

I really didn't intend to do anything with a KTM, other than test ride it.  I was intrigued by that wide-angle big-twin engine sitting low in the cradle.  I wanted to feel the torque in the dirt on big supension.  It was amazing in its' dirt prowess.  

If I really need a dirt bike I would go for a KTM 525 EXC with a big tank and all the desert extras.    Here in Texas you can make that bike road legal in a snap, no trun signals required.  

As far as the Willys goes, I'll pass.  the only Jeep product that I would consider is the new Rubicon. Complete with fuel injection, front/rear lockers, coil-over suspension, and A/C!