News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Brakes

Started by Headache, July 30, 2006, 06:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headache

My 885 tigger was bought with a partly repaired accident and i have a few problems with it which i am trying to solve. If you use the back brake at slow speeds it pulses, is this normal or is the axle deformed.

br Andy

tigerhund

Definitely not normal:  I would guess bent axle, warped brake disk, or some other sort of alignment disorder.  Good luck.

Brother Number One

Disc, disc, disc and nothing to do with the accident.  Put a wavy one on and let us all know if they are any good. :D
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Jim S

I would agree, disc, a warp in the disk would cause a pulse or shudder at speed. Although, I'v seen stuck caliper slides have a similar effect, as it pushes from the piston side only, end result? Warped disc!

Check out the caliper first, if all's moving fine then move on to the disc.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Brother Number One

Aye, and they rarely move fine and always need attention.  The caliper moves on two pegs which are supposed to be filled with copperslip.  I had to lever the two pieces apart.  The copperslip had gone hard, like clay.  Cleaning this up and reassembling with fresh copperslip greatly improves these (frankly rubbish) brakes :shock:
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

TigerTrax

Check the rear rotor for any build-up of disk pad residue, that will make it feel like a warped disk. Clean it off if you find any.

If you don't find any .....

Set that thing up on a center support; Spin the rear wheel;  watch the rear rotor. If it waves ... probablya warped disk.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Jim S

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

"waves"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I think you'd struggle to keep your foot on the brake pedal if you can see the warp!  :wink:

I'd check out the calpier slides, sounds most likely.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Brother Number One

Quote from: "Jim S"I think you'd struggle to keep your foot on the brake pedal if you can see the warp!  :wink:

Aye, you need one of those guage things on a stand; looks a bit like something from a chamistry set.  I'm lucky my dad (from Liverpool) spent his working life pinching such things from work.

Quote from: "Brother Number One"Aye, you need one of those guage things on a stand;

Known as a "dial gauge indicator"