News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

can this be love?

Started by gary martin, August 09, 2006, 06:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary martin

currently own a 04 guzzi cali tourer, 89 bmw r100gs, 70 bmw r50/5, and 84 honda ct110.  made a few mistakes recently:  1. rode a friend's 02 tiger this past weekend.  2.  discovered there was an 04 with approx. 1,000 mi. on it for sale locally.  3.  went to see it and oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, the gs might be history!!!!!  but since i'm impulsive i gotta take a deep breath and do a little research.  the gs has 52k on the odometer so little issues (mebbe some big ones too) exist or will surface but i do like the bike's center stand, tubeless tires, spokes on the outer wheel edges, luggage capacity (i've got the bmw bags and also aluminum bags), and funky looks.  

i'd appreciate opinions on the 04 tiger.  when did they improve the spongy(?) forks?, is the stock seat ok?, any issues with that model year?, are on the road tire repairs tough?, what can you fit in the right saddle bag beside a pair of shoes :P ?, what are popular mods - seat?, windshield, suspension?, center stand?, why is the triumph topcase so expensive :shock: ?

any info will be much appreciated!  

gotta get back to work.
West Penn BMW - a small contingent of trouble makers.  04 Tiger-Gromit; 04 Guzzi evT-Jezebel, princess of pleasure and pain; 84 Honda CT110-Little Red Riding in the Hood; 70 BMW R50/5-Dudley

patsy mack

Gary I hooked you huh.Go for it if the price is right.Get the acessory center stand.You can put the Aluninium bags off The GS on it .The top box is nice but I only use when my wife rides which is about 2 times a year.Let me know if you need any more info.

Nice seeing at Mid-Ohio.

Pat

gary martin

well, the big green marble spun around once and the only reply's from the owner of the bike i rode last weekend - thanks, Pat!  Now if i had posted a similar query on the guzzi site there would have been all sorts of replies ranging from caveats to color choices to bizarre thread hi-jacking!

so i'll conclude this is a more mellow group :lol:   i'm going take the tiger for a serious test ride this saturday and, more than likely, do the deed.  but, hey, any feedback will still be appreciated!

p.s. what's a "steamer?"
West Penn BMW - a small contingent of trouble makers.  04 Tiger-Gromit; 04 Guzzi evT-Jezebel, princess of pleasure and pain; 84 Honda CT110-Little Red Riding in the Hood; 70 BMW R50/5-Dudley

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "gary martin"well, the big green marble spun around once and the only reply's from the owner of the bike i rode last weekend -

p.s. what's a "steamer?"

What did you expect? The Tiger folks are generally biased twards Tigers.

A Steamer is the older Carbed 885 - Pre 1999. Long story. The answers to your questions can be found if you do a search.

EFI Tigers are generally dead reliable.

Bruincounselor-

Busy Counseling Bruins
Bruin\'

gary martin

Quote from: "bruincounselor"[

EFI Tigers are generally dead reliable.

Bruincounselor-

Busy Counseling Bruins

ok, i like positive reinforcement  :wink:

greg

Definitely worth mentioning (again), the orange Tigers are decidedly superior to all others. Greater reliability, more pace, enhanced torque, superior rider comfort, better resale (as if you would), greater accessory range, better mpg.............. the list goes on.

You probably haven't had many replies yet because Tiger riders do just that :lol: .
2004 Girly.

gary martin

Quote from: "greg"Definitely worth mentioning (again), the orange Tigers are decidedly superior to all others.

rats!  this one is silver :(

:lol:

tigerhund

My wife and I own three Tigers, so I am not exactly objective at this point, but in my humble opinion, the Tiger (both first and second generation) is the greatest standard motorcycle ever built.

We can argue all day about whether the Tiger is a true 'adventure tourer', but most would agree that you can certainly ride it down a dirt or gravel road in factory trim with no trouble.   It is a great highway tourer (99+ are even comfortable with the stock seat), carries a pillion passenger or a bunch of luggage very well, and the 99+ Tigers carry enough gas to give you pretty good range.

The Tiger is a great, reliable machine.   You can pay a bunch more money for machines that do not give you much more, if any more, functionality.

The other nice thing about Tigers is not everybody has one.  You can park my wife's $4000+/- 1999 Tiger next to a bunch of $20K Harleys and the Tiger draws a crowd every time.

Regards,

Mike

greg

Back again a little more serious this time.

Common add ons are crash bars (the petrol tank sticks out a long way, as you will find if you drop it!), a change of screen to an MRA Vario or Ceebaily (the two most common it seems), and for some a change of seat.

Thats it really, beyond the screen and crash bars you don't have to do anything much beyond personal choice. The Tiger is pretty much good from the off.
2004 Girly.

greg

Oh I forgot to mention that the top box is so expensive because it comes to you in a box, in bits which you get all the fun and pleasure of self assembling. Lucky you. Then it leaks.

So now you know why it costs so much.
2004 Girly.

JohnG.

Quote from: "gary martin"currently own a 04 guzzi cali tourer, 89 bmw r100gs, 70 bmw r50/5, and 84 honda ct110.  made a few mistakes recently:  1. rode a friend's 02 tiger this past weekend....

G'day all...I'm a newbie from OZ... :)

btw,Any OZ owners here?

Gary,

I have a '98 CaliEV...and also recently caught up with a long lost friend who let me take his '05 Tiger for a half hour ride...it fitted my 6'5" frame like a ol' glove  :D ....so I'm very interested to hear from any high mileage EFI Tiger owners too??
JohnG.

wasions

Sorry, missed your post.  Out riding my Tiger, y'know (Like the others).

:wink:
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350

gary martin

Quote from: "JohnG."G'day all...I'm a newbie from OZ... :)

btw,Any OZ owners here?

Gary,

I have a '98 CaliEV...

i thought that avatar looked familiar :lol:

JohnG.

Quote from: "gary martin"

btw,Any OZ owners here?

Gary,

I have a '98 CaliEV...

WG forum?? right?  :)  :lol:
JohnG.

gary martin

Quote from: "JohnG."
Quote from: "gary martin"

btw,Any OZ owners here?

Gary,

I have a '98 CaliEV...

WG forum?? right?  :)  :lol:

yep.  we must behave here tho.  we're guests doncha know!