News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve service intervals?

Started by J.R., August 09, 2006, 08:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.R.

Am finally serious about getting a Tiger. Not sure of wire wheels or cast at this point. I guess it all depends on price and what is available.

In the meantime, a quesiton about valve service intervals. What is it for 955's?

Thanks..

J.R.

ArizonaKid

Every 12K miles I believe. . .  The case with my 02 anyway.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

ArizonaKid

Every 12K miles I believe. . .  The case with my 02 anyway.
Arizona Kid

2007 Triumph Tiger

Jim S

Mine were done at 12,000, the local dealer (non Triumph) reckoned it was rediculous at that miles and reckoned double that would be more practical as they very seldom need any work until over 30,000 miles. He's never seen a Triumph need anything at that miles.

Mine were all within tolerances. I'll check them again at 24,000 though just in case.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

ArizonaKid

Because of the shim under bucket configuration, they're a snap to check, but a bear to change (have to remove the cams, etc, etc).  Never hurts to check them.  You can do that yourself, if you've a mind to and have a moderate degree of mechanical smarts and if they need adjustment you can have the dealer or service tech of your choice do it.   My 02 needed three shims on it's first 12K service, so you never know.  Again, easy to check, hard to change.
Arizona Kid

2007 Triumph Tiger

Quote from: "ArizonaKid"Because of the shim under bucket configuration,

My 02 needed three shims on it's first 12K service,

Actually, the shims on the Tiger engine are on top of the buckets.

Mine needed its first shims at 38000 miles. I know, I was late taking it in. Too busy riding!

Brother Number One

I checked mine at 25k and found four of the exhaust valves slightly WIDE.  I took this to be a result of them being overadjusted by the dealer at 12k (before I owned the bike).  I have never known gaps to increase with use, only close up, but I would be interested in any comments.

Of course, I left them wide; adjusting them is a real pain.  It was difficult to tell the exact gap but I say they are wide because the bigger guage slid in easily.  I expect the smaller guage to go in easily and the bigger one not to fit.

It's worth checking your own gaps as the journey in is interesting and you may just find signs of dealer incompetence, like I did.

I now know what the faint ticking noise is at low revs.
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Jim S

Hmmm, the ticking noise at low revs? If you mean that's caused by the wide valve clearances it'll only get worse!

If you can hear your tappets then I'd suggest dealing with them now, sooner than later as the sound is due to play which will knock the case hardening off the cam, then it's toast!

The way in as you say, is a nightmare, I've never worked on a more awkward bike than the 955i Tiger! Takes half a day to get into them!

Agreed, they usually lessen the gap with shims and buckets as the valve wears into the seat quicker than the shims wear.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade