News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sound at 50mph

Started by harre, August 12, 2006, 10:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harre

When I cruise at 50 mph (80km/h) on my 98 Tiger I hear a whizzing sound, not too disturbing but a bit annoying. I have tried to locate the source but I can't figure out what the cause is. Firstly I suspected the fork boots, and later the holes in the black plastic exhaust covers. Covering these areas with gaffa tape did not remove the sound. Now I am wondering if the fairing itself is responsible? Other potential sources are the brake discs. I don't think the sound originates from the transmission, and it does not appear to come from the engine. It is a "windy" hissing noice that luckliy disappears at 5 mph higher (or lower speeds).

Anyone that hears the same or am I only being paranoid?

Sofalofa2005

QuoteAnyone that hears the same or am I only being paranoid?

I think you are harre, 'cos I hear various different sounds at different speeds... Of course the simple answer is to go faster! Otherwise, try to narrow it down a bit, it could be anything! Engine? Brakes? Chasis? Helmet?

Ride without earplugs for a few miles (I hope you wear them usually) and see if you can be a bit more specific... The guys and gals on here are very helpful and will sort you out...

harre

Thanks for trying to help Sofalofa!

Unfortunately I have left my bike back home in UmeĀ¬ (600km) for some weeks, so I won't be able to specify the sound more precisely at the moment. I have thought of riding without helmet to listen more carefully. As far as I can tell now is the sound not originating from the helmet (Arai Maverick) . I have tried both with and without earplugs, and as always, earplugs are good for removing strange-sound-agony :lol:.

I am planinng to buy a Secdem touring windshield, perhaps that will do the trick. If it does I will report later.

I wish I could specify the nature of the sound, but it appears to be wind-generated, and it is still there if I use the cluth and just roll at 50 mph with the engine idle.

A good thing is that I have only used my Tiger for 3000 km yet, so hopefully I will be less sound-paranoid with time :P .  :roll:

klrbill

I get a sound that might be like what you describe cruising at around 50mph in top gear.  I think it sounds like when the brakes get down to the wear indicator, and it comes from the front end somewhere, but the bike was just inspected and the brakes are fine.  It too seems to go away within 5 or 10 MPH either way from 50.  Its like...a high pitched metal on metal, very constent when it happens.  Just a steady sound which does not seem to very with RPM when its happening.  It just turns on, and then will turn off outside of certain speeds.  For me it seems to happen only in top gear and still happens even with the clutch pulled in.  

I tried looking for it but the bike seems to ride perfectly, and the motor pulls hard like it should.  Everything seems perfect except for the sound...so I've taken the attitude that until something overtly breaks that I can fix I'm not going to worry about it.  Been riding it since I bought it used for about 2000 miles now on some several hour trips and there is nothing new in that time to report beyond what I've said.
Sincerely,

KLR Bill

ned37

just recently, i heard a squealing sound on my 95 steamer that i thought might be the fan motor.  it happened when i would decelerate to about 40 mph.  turned out to be the input to the speedo.  disconnected it, turned upside down and greased it.  solved the problem.  :)

ned g
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

Check your chain tension. If too tight it would make a noise like you describe and it wouldn't matter if you pull the clutch in whist rolling along. Mind you, it would do it at all speeds.

harre

I am grateful that this thread is alive and kicking. I will try to grease the speedo input wire, the outcome of that will be interesting. I do not think the chain tension is too high, but it is worth checking, greasing the chain did not eliminate the sound though.

ned37

harre,

i did not grease the wire on the speedo, i greased the inner rotating part that the wire drives.  put a bit of grease in your palm and scoop it into the protruding part of the speedo.

to see if it is the speedo, try to duplicate the noise with your left hand on the speedo, you can feel it.

ned
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

harre

Thanks Ned!

Will try that when I see my Tiger again.

Harre

harre

After driving my Tiger a few days I realized that the whizzing sound was much lower than last year.

I think I fixed this problem quite simple: when I removed the front fairing I saw that the foam sheet that surrounds the double headlights was not fitted properly. After fixing this, the whizzing sound is much lower.

A nice feeling when strange sounds disappear without extra costs. :D