News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

gas leak, towing covered?

Started by bretzg, August 19, 2006, 03:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bretzg

my 2005 Tiger with 3,000 miles or so just developed a big time leak (spray) from the the lower connector on the left side, lower portion of the tank. I saw with a search where this has happened and there was some kind of a recall but I'm thinking that was on older Tigers. Here's my question, mine's still under warranty and the dealer said to have it towed to his shop. I don't feel I should have to pay the $110 tow bill for Triumph's goof. Anybody have any luck getting them to reimburse for towing and if so, how so? Thanks as she's getting picked up tomorrow AM for a ride to the local Phoenix, AZ dealer.
gary b

toddtruby

I would be suprised if Triumph didn't cover it, but I'm sure you'll have to ask first.

For future, I pay only $8/year on my insurance for breakdown coverage which includes towing.

bretzg

I've got towing covered on my policy as well but my feeling is Triumph should pay as I hate turning enything in to insurance as they have a funny way of thanking you for those calls by jacking up your rates. The recall went through 2004 models so you'd have thought they would have figured that connector out by now. If they don't step up and pay for the towing I'll file a report with NHTSA and ask for an investigation in to an obvious safety hazard that they should have corrected by the 2005 model.
gary b

toddtruby

It is my understanding that breakdown coverage is comparable to comprehensive insurance and will not affect rates.  All it really amounts to is your insurance company has a negotiated rate with a company like AAA or Cross Country.  Of course you could call your ins company to be sure.

As far as NHTSA, I personally feel that if you are concerned about this being safety related you should report it to NHTSA regardless of Triumph's response.  

I don't think it is ethical to use that as leverage to get what you think they should give you.  If you are not satisfied with the way a company handles customer service issues, you should not do business with them in the future.

Keep the two issues separate.

stwsam

I have to brag on my dealer that came to my house to remedy by 2004.  I did not even buy my bike from them, but I have been a loyal customer and spend a lot on upfits.  The scarry thing is the bike showed a record of being attended to as far as the recall.  The tech that came to my home said the outtlets appeard to be plastic and the new were aluminum I  think.  He was irked that the recall was posted by another dealer, butt, the work  to not have been done.
Different results require different actions.

stwsam

I have to brag on my dealer that came to my house to remedy my 2004.  I did not even buy my bike from them, but I have been a loyal customer and spend a lot on upfits.  The scarry thing is the bike showed a record of being attended to as far as the recall.  The tech that came to my home said the outtlets appeard to be plastic and the new were aluminum I  think.  He was irked that the recall was posted by another dealer, butt, the work  seemed to not have been done.
Different results require different actions.

bretzg

you fellow Tiger owners won't believe this, Triumph WOULD NOT cover the plastic connectors that were spraying gas all over the engine due to their very poor design. The dealer replaced them with the metal ones that Triumph made to replace the crappy plastic ones that were recalled on the pre-2004 models. What's even stranger is that my 2005 Tiger has a totally different fuel tank connection set up than the sales manager's 2005 Tiger. His has one hose coming out of the tank where mine has the two hoses and had the worthless plastic connectors which are replaced by the proper metal ones. I will be contacting Triumph directly and doing whatever it takes to get my towing and the cost for replacing the faulty plastic pieces reimbursed. Triumph truly dropped the ball on this one, shame on them.
gary b