News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Air Filter

Started by Tigerman, August 19, 2006, 09:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigerman

Any advice on fitting air filters - just bought a K&N for the Tigger and would rather fit it myself than pay a garage to do it - any help appreciated

looch

Looch

Mudhen

If it's a Steamer...PAY!!!

As my dear old friend Ben Dover used to say...you're gonna pay one way or the other... :lol:
\'96 Steamer

Tigerman

2004Tiger

Why did you buy a K&N? They don't filter as well as a standard paper filter but a lot of people get taken in by their advertising blitz. To test if you have a filter restriction, remove your standard filter and drive a short time on clean roads to see if you can sense a power improvement. Most bikes have no difference with/without filter so why use a K&N which filters poorly?
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Quote from: "2004Tiger"Why did you buy a K&N? They don't filter as well as a standard paper filter but a lot of people get taken in by their advertising blitz. To test if you have a filter restriction, remove your standard filter and drive a short time on clean roads to see if you can sense a power improvement. Most bikes have no difference with/without filter so why use a K&N which filters poorly?

Because the Tiger is restricted in the airbox And you'll never have to buy another aif filter ever again.

Also, the only area where they don't work is sand. If K&N were rubbish as you say then I'm sure most of the racing community would have found that out by now and would be using something else.

As for fitting....take the fuel tank off and the filter is under the cover onto of the airbox. Just remove the 4 screws and it pulls out. Simple.

2004Tiger

Are you using a K&N? You can confess. You need to convince yourself you made the right decision, that the advertising didn't influence you and that your bike is faster with it.

"Because the Tiger is restricted in the airbox And you'll never have to buy another aif filter ever again.

Also, the only area where they don't work is sand. If K&N were rubbish as you say then I'm sure most of the racing community would have found that out by now and would be using something else."

I believe the Tiger air restriction is in the inlet to the airbox, not in the air filter.  With or without a filter, or with standard filter or K&N,  it runs the same. The standard paper filter provides sufficient (clean) air to make the rated horsepower, which most Tigers never develop anyway because of other issues.

Sand is everywhere. It is the major component of road dust.

Racers tolerate the poor filtration because they actually use the extra air and they rebuild their engines frequently. The race track is also a cleaner environment than the street.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Quote from: "2004Tiger"Are you using a K&N? You can confess. You need to convince yourself you made the right decision, that the advertising didn't influence you and that your bike is faster with it.

"Because the Tiger is restricted in the airbox And you'll never have to buy another aif filter ever again.

Also, the only area where they don't work is sand. If K&N were rubbish as you say then I'm sure most of the racing community would have found that out by now and would be using something else."

I believe the Tiger air restriction is in the inlet to the airbox, not in the air filter.  With or without a filter, or with standard filter or K&N,  it runs the same. The standard paper filter provides sufficient (clean) air to make the rated horsepower, which most Tigers never develop anyway because of other issues.

Sand is everywhere. It is the major component of road dust.

Racers tolerate the poor filtration because they actually use the extra air and they rebuild their engines frequently. The race track is also a cleaner environment than the street.

And....you've CLEARLY got something against K&N. I don't care really. I had a K&N on my BMW R100GS for 45000 miles without problems. I've got one on my Tiger now for only 14000 miles, again without problems.

Each to their own.

Sand is not a major component of road dust. Sand has big grains and dust is .....errr...dust. When sand reduces to dust it's known as Feshfesh.

HPN (who know about desert racers) use the paper filters in the desert but K&N everywhere else. Good enough for me.