News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tach and Speedo Quit Working

Started by navajo oshley, August 25, 2006, 02:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

navajo oshley

Need some help!!!!    I was riding on a rough gravel road and noticed the speedometer and tach were not working.  Also idle was rough.  Turned and headed home about 25 miles.  Speedo would start working at times.  When it was workiing it would return to 0 mph when I pulled the clutch in.

Noticed on the way home the turn indicator light on the dash was getting dim.  Almost made it home and the temperature gauge went into the red.

Shut the bike down.  When I turned the key to on position there was no charge left in the battery.   Now at home, have checked all fuses they are OK.  Charged battery and now the tach and speedo work but the "Engine Management Malfuction Light is On"  Any ideas :?:

Jim S

Possible glitch through a bad connection somewhere? That might put the warning light on?

Run the bike through three heat cycles and see if that puts the light off. Meaning run the bike to normal temperature three times and if no fault found the light should go off.

Possible the offroading jarred a connection somewhere and charging was lost? Sounds like a block connector to the clocks? If you lose connection to the alternator it wouldn't charge, causing the battery to run down, this in turn, might put the EFI light on as incorrect voltage?

Sorry mate, electrical diagnostics is a nightmare, and dealers have the same problem as they have to recreate the fault to find the problem, could be time consuming to trace.

Sorry I can't be more helpfull. Possibly someone here has had a similar issue?
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

navajo oshley

Jim thanks for the info.  Tried your your recommendation but the light is still on.   I finally gave up and took it to the dealer today..  Will post the result as soon as I get it back

navajo oshley

Got the bike from the dealer today.  The only thing they could tell me is that the engine managment light came ont because of a low voltage signal.  They have no idea why.  Cant tell me why the charging system quit and then started working again.  Not real impressed with there tech's :(

Jim S

If the three heat cycles didn't put it out the fault must still be there? Possibly intermittent? I hate intermittent electrical faults, they're just so hard to find.

Best of luck mate. :cry:
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

navajo oshley

Tried a little off road riding this weekend. Did not have any problems.  Will keep trying!

TripleFan

Check the connection to the regulator. The local tech has found some loose wires in the connection to the main harness.
Triplefan

2005 Tiger

XS850LG

XS850G

navajo oshley

Can anyone tell me where the regulator is located on an 04 Tiger?

iansoady

Left hand side next to the battery box I believe.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Danny955i

Your battery is going bad...

This JUST happened to me, literally 2 weeks ago.

I was riding on the highway, and when I went to pull off the off ramp, the gauges went dead and the bike ran horrible... when I pulled the clutch to stop, the bike died. Then it wouldn't start.

Took the bike home (trailer blah) and hooked it up to a charger. It did charge, then faulted...

Took it to Advance Auto, and there was a minor short in the battery...

Get yourself a BRAND NEW BATTERY, and do the Rectifier/Regulator re-wire to hard-wire it to the battery... no more issues, bike runs WAY better and everything works 100%.