News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

That false neutral feeling

Started by UKPaul, August 25, 2006, 05:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKPaul

I've done over 7K Miles on my 05. Today I found the false neutral going from 4th to 5th twice, each time lasted for 3-5 seconds. This is an absolute 1st  & concerns me as most comments are either "It will be fine once you break it in" or "It's a lazy shift" Niether comments seems aplicable as I feel it's run in & I have'nt changed my shifting style.  Should I be concerned? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Jim S

I can only say I've hit false neutrals as well and have always put them down to lazy shifts. It feels like it has two clicks to climb into some gears and this is where I hit these neutrals.

Sorry can't be more helpful.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

PeteBrooks

I've never owned a bike that didnt suffer from false neutrals. On my 2002 tiger it's always down to a lazy shift.

Clutching up I occaisnally hit it from 4 - 5th. Clutchless however I can not remember doing it.

gatorwesty

when I get one, and it is rare, it is due to a lazy shift. I recently dropped the bike in the garage and bent the shift lever up. I am getting more falsies due to not able to give it a hard upward shift. I will have to replace or lower my angle on my shift lever.

Foxy

Between fourth and fifth is where I've found it too. Again appears to be down to laziness, but the gearbox has become better with age.

davensocal

hmm, I thought mine was always 5th to 6th..  Usually when I was cramming through the gears..  Frequency dropped as I got used to her..  I also recently noticed an attempted false neutral, but I caught it before getting back on it..

Bull

I did find neutral recently - when I really wanted to be shifting from 1st up to 2nd.

Trouble was, I wasn't wearing my usual boots.  I think I missed the shift because the shoes I had on weren't as tall or stiff as my boots.

so the moral of the story (for me at least) was wear decent riding boots all the time and stop fannying about with the running shoes.
\"Inconsistency is the mark of genius.\"  Emerson

UKPaul

Well thanks fella's, the concensus seems to indicate my left foot is becoming a right lazy git.

I will be making a conscious effort to shift more decisivley & will keep you guys posted if that solves the problem.

Thanks too all for the advice