News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Aux Jack Type and Alternator Rating

Started by Wrangler, October 15, 2003, 03:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrangler

Purchased a Tiger recently but don't get possesion till Spring 04.  Need to ride it home from Edmonton Alberta to Ontario.  I'm getting Electric Grips and vest.  I don't have the manual yet.  I have some questions may be someone can help.

1.  What is the auxiliary jack spec rating.  I'm guessing it should have an IEC, ANSI, Nema or CSA rating number?  I want to make sure it mates with the plug in my vest the first time when I'm 4000 Kms from home.

2.  Does anyone know power or current available for these accessories (grips, jacket because I'm thinking about electric pants but don't want to overload alternator).

Any knowledge, places to check would be appreciated
I\'ve been from Tucson to Tucumcari

Tehachapi to Tonopah

Paz

Hi Wrangler

You are quite right, there is a spec. covering the auxilliary power socket on the Tiger.

It is a European spec and is DIN ISO 4165. It is also, I believe, the same spec as those used on BMWs.

I'm not sure about the maximum current rating available at the socket itself, but the wiring leading to it is not that large.

Here in the UK, the plugs are generally supplied fused with either a 3amp or 8 amp fuse. I believe, but I'm not 100% sure that the plug itself is rated at 16 amps.

I have the Triumph heated grips on my Tiger and in cold weather they are the "dog's dooleys."

Hope that's of some help.

Paz
I reserve the right to contradict myself.

Pawk

Quote from: "Paz"I have the Triumph heated grips on my Tiger and in cold weather they are the "dog's dooleys."

Ok, I just recently learned what a 'punter' is......

dog's dooley's....  I haven't the slightest clue whether thats good or bad...

not that it matters.

:twisted:

Paz

AKA "The Mutt's nuts"

Believe me that's good!  :D  :D

Paz
I reserve the right to contradict myself.

Quote from: "Wrangler"2.  Does anyone know power or current available for these accessories (grips, jacket because I'm thinking about electric pants but don't want to overload alternator).

Don't worry. I have heated grips and I plug a Gialli heated jacket liner into the acc socket. I also run a GPS from another socket on the dash. The alternator is rated at 480 Watts. Even with your pants on fire there'll still be some power left for the wife on the back.

Approximately :-

engine & ignition = 50W (ish)

lights = 157W(max)

turn signals = 42W

jacket = 30W

pants  = 30W

Total = 309W

Wrangler

BlackT,

Thanks... Exactly the type of data a rider with an electrical engineering background was looking for.
I\'ve been from Tucson to Tucumcari

Tehachapi to Tonopah

TigerTrax

I find it hard to believe the jacket only pulls 30watts. I could believe a vest will pull 30 watts.

Gerbing... the experts in the market:

Jacket w/sleeves:  77watts

Gloves: 22 watts

Sox: 22watts

Pants .. I don't know.

Everyone I talk with that heated clothing is the way to go. Too bad my Steamer only cranks 300 watts... my wife is gonna freeze!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Quote from: "TigerTrax"I find it hard to believe the jacket only pulls 30watts. I could believe a vest will pull 30 watts.

Gerbing... the experts in the market:

Jacket w/sleeves:  77watts

Gloves: 22 watts

Sox: 22watts

Pants .. I don't know.

Everyone I talk with that heated clothing is the way to go. Too bad my Steamer only cranks 300 watts... my wife is gonna freeze!

I said "jacket liner".

But OK, even with your figures there's still plenty of power.

I had the same (worse actually) problem as your steamer with my R100GS. That only puts out 240Watts. With a police spec regulator it copes on a low setting.

I just found the Gialli power consumption figures :-

Full jacket     = 66 watts

Waistcoat      = 42 watts

Trousers       = 42 watts

Neck warmer = 12 watts

Kidney belt    = 12 watts

Gloves          = 18 watts

Socks           = 18 watts

heated grips  = 24 watts

TOTAL         = 234 watts

If your still cold, you must be dead.

tenpaq

Ah Florida, at first i was kinda bummed at my home state. Flat as my first wife, nutha story.  Compared to all y`alls great mountain rides in the Alps, Deserts, Alaska,UK, Europe etc. it`s just too flat!!  But after reading these last couple of posts I no longer feel so bad about my state.  cause 450WATTS OF POWER for CLOTHING HEAT!!!  I`m now thinkin ole FLA. ain`t so bad after all!     I better put my liner in my Fieldsheer MACH 1 textile jacket tonite cause it`s getting DOWN to 65 DEG. Farin. tonite .   Beeerrrrrerrrr  cold.... it is november after all.

thanks guys.
\"If you can`t get hurt, skip it!\"

2004 Silver Tiger

AK Tiger

Hey, enough of the warm weather stuff Tenpaq.  It's +1 outside with wind from the north at 30 mph... and Seward is the warm part of Alaska!  It's currently -40 in Fairbanks.  Sunrise is almost 10AM and sunset is three something PM.  Tiggr's parked inside with its blanket, dreaming of summer.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

tenpaq

Speakin of Northeasters, they are no fun here 40 miles out in my boat either! Hey, mabey thats y i bought a Tiger! Oh man , I`m gettin soft...
\"If you can`t get hurt, skip it!\"

2004 Silver Tiger

NortonCharlie

The plug is fused at 10 amps which should be pretty close to 120 watts.  I think that a Gerbing setup with liner pants gloves and sock will put you over the top on the 10 amps.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

TigerTrax

The sales guy at the store says that Gerbing suggests first getting a full liner (with sleeves  77 watts) and gloves (22 watts ). The idea being that if your torso is staying warm, your legs maybe getting enough heat. They recommend trying that before getting trousers.

As for the gloves: The heat is located on the outside of the fingers ( not palm side). This should pre-empt the need for heated grips, but try that before getting heated grips. ( I think most would end up getting heated grips ... just to have them.

I have 109 watts to work with: What do you think: Full liner + Gloves = 99. ( and maybe ONE sock) ( Which would you suggest? Braking foot or shifting foot? )
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'