News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Blue Ridge Skyway.

Started by Guest, October 18, 2006, 12:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can anyone living near the Blue Ridge Skyway all the way from Chatanooga to DC please tell me what the climate is NORMALLY like in early May? Planning a trip, you see. Thanks.

Brooks Short

Every year I  ride the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, usually in early to mid -May.  You can expect some cooler weather in the 60's at the higher elevations with lows in the 50's.  At the lower elevations towards the northern part of the Parkway the temps can be a bit warmer, into the 70's in early May.

The weather can be unpredictable that time of year. One year it rained the entire length of the Parkway.  Often there is a good bit of fog, which is quite beautiful. The  Blue Ridge parkway is one of my favorite rides.

Speed limits are low but if you ride the BRP during the week, rather than the weekend, there is very little traffic. In the past seven years I can count on one hand the number of rangers I've seen.  Travel on the weekends and it can be a different story.

The southern end of the BRP, at Cherokee, NC, is very close to many famous roads such as Deals Gap, the Foothills Parkway, Cherahala Skyway, Wolf Pen Gap road and many others.

Go to www.madmaps.com and order the Smoky Mountains/Southern Appalachia Scenic Tours map.  Lots of good rides highlighted there.

If you do get to do the BRP, I know you'll enjoy it. Maybe I'll see you there next May !
One Less Car

Brooks Short

BTW the Blue Ridge Parkway runs for 460 miles from Cherokee, NC to Waynesboro, Virginia.
One Less Car

Thanks for that. I was worried that I might meet some snow at higher elevations.

Do you think it'll be still enjoyable on an HD Road King?? The road looks good and twisty. I'm looking at getting a "One way special" from Eagle Riders to ride from LA to DC.

Brooks Short

A Road King will be fine.  Though the southern end of the BRP has the most dramatic elevation changes and tighter curves, most of the Parkway has more sweepers than twisties. It would be a perfect ride on a Road King.
One Less Car

Stretch

I rented a Road King in La$ Vega$ last year and did quite a bit of touring in Utah.  I was amazed at how well that big thing handled.  It's wide, but not clumsy, and the brakes are excellent.

Have fun.

Shiney side up.

Dirtdog

I have ridden a bicycle ride up there many times (12) called the

Assault on Mt. Mitchell. This ride is done the 3rd weekend of May.

It enters the Blue Ridge parkway near Marion, NC and goes up hill

to the top for 17 miles. Last year on a reroute it went through Asheville, NC and was apx 34 miles to the top. On this ride I have experienced

many swings in temperture ranging from mid 30's to the mid

80's over the years. We have seen sleet like conditions but I have yet

to see snow. Bring more cold riding gear than you'll think you'll need

cause conditions can change rapidly.

Quote from: "Dirtdog"Bring more cold riding gear than you'll think you'll need

cause conditions can change rapidly.

Of course, my first problem, if I do this trip, is to dodge through tornado alley. Maybe I'll need body armour for the hail stones. :shock: