News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork mod questions...

Started by stopwatch, November 04, 2006, 11:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopwatch

What is the procedure for replacing the fork oil on a 2001 955? What additional steps are neccessary if I want to change my fork springs and/ or "revalve" the forks. Thanks for the help!  :)

BykBoy

Quote from: "stopwatch"What is the procedure for replacing the fork oil on a 2001 955? What additional steps are neccessary if I want to change my fork springs and/ or "revalve" the forks. Thanks for the help!  :)

I did this when I installed the RaceTech Gold Valve Cartrige Emulators. It takes about 3 hours (maybe 2 hours just for replacing the oil)

To change the oil or replace the springs:

Take off the wheel

Take off the brake calipers

Take off the front fender

Open the tripple clamps.

Remove both fork legs

Open the fork caps

Pour out the oil

Remove the fork springs

Compress the forks and fill up with new oil as instructed in the manual

Extend the forks

Insert the springs

Close the fork caps

Insert the fork legs back into the tripple clams

Tighten the Tripple clamps

Put the fender, wheel, and brake calipers back in.

To revalve (if you are using cartrige emulators), you will also have to take out the damping rod:

After removing the fork legs from the motorcycle:

Loosen the screw at the bottom of the fork leg. If it does not open, put a helen rench in it and give it a swift wack with a hammer. That should jar it loos a bit. The use the helen rench to open it up until the rod is unattached.

After modifying the damping rod:

Insert the rod back into place

Insert the springs

Close the fork cap

Bolt the rod back into place by closing the bult at the bottom of the fork

Open the fork caps

Remove the springs

Compress the forks and Fill up oil

Insert the cartrige emulators

Insert springs

Close fork caps

Put everything back together as described in the Oil and Spring replacement above

Be careful when closing the fork caps. Make sure you don't force it and distroy the thred. It can be a little tricky if you add the cartrige emulators because there will be more spring preasure due to the added hight of the spring. It's not a big deal, just be carefull.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

ned37

don't forget to jack up the front wheel before you take off the forks! :lol:

ned
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

NortonCharlie

Break the fork caps loose before unclamping the tripple tree, they are tough to keep from turning otherwise.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Quote from: "stopwatch"What additional steps are neccessary if I want to change my fork springs and/ or "revalve" the forks. Thanks for the help!  :)

I would'nt go to the expense of a "revalve". Just try some thicker oil in them first. And, maybe, increase the amount of oil in them by 10~20ml. This has the effect of stiffening everything up somewhat.

What I found to be a good way to go was :-

mix 66% 15W with 33% 10W (13.66W??) i.e. 1litre of 15W with 1/2 litre of 10W and reduce the oil level from 119mm (book setting) to 110mm.

Still supple enough for comfort but improved feel & reduces fork dive.