News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine oil level

Started by Jim Thomison, November 09, 2006, 04:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerOfSoul

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "PowerOfSoul"I talked to the Triumph Rep and was told that the book is correct.  You must screw the dip stick all the way in to verify the oil level.  So, there it is.

So that tells you all you need to know about your dealer.

Very true and at the same time,  very dissapointing.

Green Lantern

Mine has weaped oil from the RIGHT side since I bought the bike new in 05.

Long story short...no problems thus far and fortunatly my dealer and the two mechanics that work on the bike know their stuff. They're both Tiger riders so I lucked out.

A friend of mine who has ridden Jap in-line fours his whole life said to me one day that he has never had a bike that didn't weap oil and not to worry about it.

What do you guys think of that?

iansoady

Not a drop from mine. If a bike's properly put together it shouldn't leak anything - my Commando never wept from anywhere despite some hard miles in France, Italy and Greece.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Jim Thomison

My 02 Bonneville has never wept any oil and I have had four Hondas that have never wept any oil.
2006 Tiger

2002 Bonneville T-100

The Midnight Rambler

My 06 has never lost a drop, but I also Have a Velocette and a Royal Enfield: You guys don't know what oil loss is. Weep? I'll say I did!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
― Hunter S. Thompson

iansoady

Yes, I forgot about Royal Oilfields. They are an exception - I never managed to get my trials bullet oiltight. Mind you it did spend a lot of time upside down.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

thelben

Good Day Fellas,
 I know that there is lots off helpful stuff on this site but on the subject of the amount of oil our bikes have in the sump is still a mystery to me.

My hand book tells me that the bike needs 4Lts I drained the oil and get 2.7Lts which is to the top of the hash marks when I screw the dipstick in.

when I put 4Lts in it is at the top of the hash mark when I don't screw it in so who the bloody hell is right?

The way I see it maybe I'm not running enough oil in it at 2.7lts and that is why it runs a bit hot in traffic?

I also looked on the Castrol site and when you check there amount they say 3.7Lts recomend.. :roll:

My bike is the 2004 model with the mag wheels not sure whats going on I'll try and find out more.

My blue all ok didn't run the bike for a while after doing the change right on the mark when dipstick screwed in :oops:

geoff

Additional confirmation of the correct procedure is found in the Triumph Tiger 955 workshop manual (Issue 2, 06.2005).
Oil capacities are given as:
dry fill, incl. filter    4.3 litres
oil and filter change  4.0 litres
oil change only  3.9 litres

Also section 8, Lubrication, says very clearly in BOLD print, that:

"The actual level is indicated when the motorcycle is level and upright, not on the side stand, and when the filler has been screwed fully home."

This is the same as in the owners handbook and not likely to be a mistake.

paulie

Quote from: "geoff"dry fill, incl. filter    4.3 litres
oil and filter change  4.0 litres

I'm curious what the difference between these two is, and why they are different quantities?  

They both include the filter's capacity, right?
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

John Stenhouse

Because there is always some oil left no matter how long you leave it to drain. A dry engine has to fill all the bearing surfaces galleries etc. so the 0.3l is what does that
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

paulie

Got it. Makes sense now. Thanks John :)
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

TigerTrax

I would make certain it is not chain oil dripping from the front sprocket.
It would be a BLACK color.

Your 'from the factory' engine oil is Mobil 1 4XT... it will be honey yellow and stay that way about 2000 miles ( This not a break-in oil ... it's the real deal ).

If you determine it is engine oil; Verify the dipstick reading and notify the dealer.  Correct way to read oil level on your 2006 Tiger is:
1. Up on centerstand or vertical position.
2. Remove dipstick/wipe clean.
3. Re-insert dipstick SCREWED DOWN.
4. Remove dipstick and read level: Full is at TOP Rib.

If it is over full... Contact your dealer and tell him that apparently his service dept overfilled your new motorcycle with oil. Does he want to pick it up and verify and check for any damage?

If someone says  " just drain some out and it will be OK", I'd say,  I could probably do that but I am not touching this until you determine what is wrong and you correct it. This is brand new and a sizeable investment for me, I'd like you to make certain no damage has occured and correct the problem.

ALWAYS give the dealer to opportunity to correct the problem.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

2004Tiger

2004 Tiger. When I changed oil and filter I refilled with 4 QTS, ran the engine briefly and let it sit 10 minutes. Checking the oil level, it was overfull. After I let out .9 QT it measured to the top rib on the dipstick, fully screwed home. It surely holds less than 3 LTS upon oil and filter change.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

thelben

It would be interesting to know from any of you when you do your next oil change how much oil you have drained including filter.  I got 2.7Lts from mine with the dipstick screwed in, to the top hash mark.

doc

i put in about 3.5 lt. with a filter change and on the sidestand.