News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine oil level

Started by Jim Thomison, November 09, 2006, 04:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Thomison

I just bought a new 2006 Tiger and have less then 300 miles on the bike. I have noticed oil weaping on the left side of the engine case with less then 50 miles on the bike. I thought it might be cosmoline heating up and running to the lowest point. The bike was not cleaned up when it was picked up from the dealer so I gave it a good cleaning and for a few days no weaping or drips. I rode about 30 miles last night and when I pulled the bike in the basement I ran my hand under the left side of the engine and it is weeping oil. I checked the oil level with the bike on the center stand which I should have done earlier and the level is over 1 1/2" above the hash marks on the dip stick. I have less then zero faith in the local dealer, with 300 miles on the bike should I go ahead and change the break in oil for new synthetic or drain the break in oil and put back the correct level. Also could running this high level of oil done any major damage to the engine?
2006 Tiger

2002 Bonneville T-100

iansoady

I would make sure (and have documented) that the dealer is aware of the problem before doing anything else. Otherwise they'll probably allege you did it yourself. Also probably worth taking photos (I know oil on a dipstick won't show up very well!).

Too much oil could potentially cause hydraulic locking under the pistons (probably unlikely) but also could end up being pushed into the airbox through the breather, contaminating the air filter, creating deposits in the combustion chambers, dripping out of the airbox drain etc. And of course creating leaks.......

Like you I have less than total faith in the dealer network. After 40 years of riding bikes this is the first one that I've ever bought from a dealer (the others all being shall we say of mature years) and the service I got from mine was hopeless. I'm doing all my own maintenance work on it now after being told downright lies (or perhaps experiencing complete incompetence).
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Jim,

I would double check the oil level and, if it is over filled, use a piece of plastic pipe through the filler and suck out some of the oil. Tell the dealer that you've done that and (sarcastically) inform him how to check the oil levels on a Tiger.

It could be that he's just poured 4 litres of oil in and not bothered to check it. When I change my oil & filter, I've noticed that I have about 100ml of oil left out of a 4 litre can when the level is correct.

geoff

I purchased my 2006 Tiger new and found (at about 500km) that that it was seeping oil from the top of the clutch housing where the clutch release shaft enters the top of the clutch cover. Upon investigation I found that the engine oil level was about 1" past the maximum. I undid the drain plug and drained out about 1 litre of oil to get the oil back to the correct level. The seeping of oil stopped with the oil at the correct level. It would seem that many bike mechanics do not know how to correctly check the oil level of a Tiger. :oops:

zombie

the problem with the so called shop mechanics is that they don't screw the dip stick all the way in  and just sit it on top of the oil filler hole thus putting  to much oil in the bike

just change out your oil and you should be fine

I have done all my own maintenance since day one on my bike and it isn't really all that hard

The hardest part is taking the thing apart

iansoady

That's probably because that's how a lot of Japanese bikes are measured. I'm sooooo pleased mine's out of warranty and I'm doing all my own work on it now so I don't have to depend on someone else. I know they're not all bad (well it stands to reason some must be OK) but as long as they're working under the pressure of having to get the bike out of the door in a certain time they're never going to pay the attention that's necessary.

I am and always have been with Robert Pirsig on this one.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Stretch

Quote from: "zombie"the problem with the so called shop mechanics is that they don't screw the dip stick all the way in  and just sit it on top of the oil filler hole thus putting  to much oil in the bike

But with some bikes, that's how it's supposed to be done.  If not so for the Tiger, the shop needs to be made aware of it.

PowerOfSoul

I have an 06 tiger and the dealer told me the book was wrong.  You don't screw the stick in, you measure from on top.  With this method, my level is even with the 2nd hash mark.  If I screw it all the way in,its over the hash marks.

Are they lying?????

Stretch

The owner's manual for my Jeep has mistakes in it...

gatling

If it's near the left rear of the engine, it could be the countershaft seal.  That's what mine ending up being.  Got it fixed under warranty.  Like you, I think many of the dealers are terrible.  The only one I use in So Cal is Southern California Triumph.  Ask for Eric.  He knows how to turn a wrench.

Gatling

www.motofoto.cc

2006 KLR 650

2006 Tiger

zombie

Quote from: "PowerOfSoul"I have an 06 tiger and the dealer told me the book was wrong.  You don't screw the stick in, you measure from on top.  With this method, my level is even with the 2nd hash mark.  If I screw it all the way in,its over the hash marks.

Are they lying?????

The dealer is wrong  , check the triumph manual as it's very specific on this , my 01 has over 40k on it with out an issue and I have been screwing the dip stick all the way in every time I check the oil

PowerOfSoul

I talked to the Triumph Rep and was told that the book is correct.  You must screw the dip stick all the way in to verify the oil level.  So, there it is.

cbxtc6

Dang, I better check my new '06's oil level tonight!!!  

:?

iansoady

Quote from: "PowerOfSoul"I talked to the Triumph Rep and was told that the book is correct.  You must screw the dip stick all the way in to verify the oil level.  So, there it is.

So that tells you all you need to know about your dealer.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Stretch

Thanks for the clarification.