News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

18mm Spark Plug socket for T4?

Started by Cache, October 24, 2003, 11:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cache

Howdy.  Anyone know of a good aftermarket spark plug socket for the 900 engines?  Any idea if the Craftsman or the Motion Pro fits down that narrow cavity???

TIA,

Cache
\"Ah but fortunately... I have the key, to escape reality\" - John Prine

RedMenace

Quote from: "Cache"Howdy.  Anyone know of a good aftermarket spark plug socket for the 900 engines?  Any idea if the Craftsman or the Motion Pro fits down that narrow cavity???

TIA,

Cache

I welded a cheap socket to the top of the Triumph plug wrench effectively extending it and allowing me to use a cheater bar or a ratchet wrench on it. And I can get it out of the hole most of the time
The Red Menace

Cache

Quote from: "RedMenace"I welded a cheap socket to the top of the Triumph plug wrench effectively extending it and allowing me to use a cheater bar or a ratchet wrench on it. And I can get it out of the hole most of the time

Somehow I figured you'd have the answer RedMasta.  However, my stock plug socket has grown legs as did the pliers.  Turned my garage and house upside down and cannot find the damn things anywhere!  I'm thinking a squirrel made off with them 2 Springs ago when I last changed the plugs.  They are probly amongst a pile of other shiny objects he's hoarded somewhere.  On the other hand, perhaps they fell out of that cheap plastic tool case supplied in '97.  Why does my friend have a nice stiched case in his '94 and I have a measly piece of plastic with a broken strap??  BTW, he hasn't a socket in his kit either and our quad sockets work on his engine but not mine.  Tighter cavities on my engine.  My stock one binded as well so I had to grind the corners smooth and that seemed to fix it.  These Tigers, I tell ya...  If they weren't so phukn phun to ride and cool to stare at...  I'd...  I'd... buy a... hmmm...  ah, forget it, I won't say that B word.  [-X  ](*,)

RedMenace

Check with the local wrecking yard or a Jap or BM shop(or a lawnmower or chainsaw shop-you should be able to find a cheap stamped steel toolkit socket that will fit
The Red Menace

Cache

The saga continues...  After close inspection, I notice that the valve cover has been installed 1/16" to the LHS.  Poor installation?  Well, that's a good thing right?  It's causing the socket to bind.  OK, so I'll check the valves as planned, it's at 18,000 miles and overdue.  Remove cover, sockets still bind, lol.  Time to crack a beer and check the valves.  Poo, all but two are out of spec.  Ah well, it's a good thing I found this out now, one of the intakes is VERY close to meltdown, less than .05mm.  All of a sudden the spark plugs are not a concern... nor the fractured subframe.  Yee Haw, time for another beer, the project continues...

Cache

Oh WTF, I just had my head ported and valves ground.  All my casting problems are solved.  Spark plug socket doesn't bind anymore and the ports are free of all the factory black powder coating and flow like a bad case of diarrhea.